Smoked Habanero BBQ Sauce

Todd R.

TVWBB Super Fan
I thought someone here had a recipe for smoked Habanero BBQ sauce, but when I search, I can?t seem to find it? Anyone have a good recipe?

Todd.....

Here is what I have used in the past.......

SMOKED HAB BBQ SAUCE

3-5 Habanero chiles, smoke roasted and chopped fine
1 small onion, minced
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 cup molasses
2 tablespoons hot sauce

I use a mini-food processor to chop the habs and onions.

Brown onion in some oil. Add the habs.

Add remaining ingredients. Simmer for 30 minutes.

You can use as many habs in this recipe as you feel. You can also add some liquid smoke if you do not have a smoker to roast the habs.

It makes about 3 cups.

Can I ask how long to smoke the Habanero's, or if it is not a "time" thing what do I look for when smoking them? Thanks.

Todd.....

Usually I roast all my peppers over high heat until the skin blisters. However, the habs are pretty thin so be very careful with them. I do a batch while I am smoking something else. Just look for them to start to crinkle and the orange will become covered and start to turn brown.

You may find that not enough smoke flavor is generated by these little guys. The habs are so hot that you only need a few of them and they are so "fragile" and small that they cook up pretty quick.

Adding a dollop of liquid smoke is perfectly fine.

Thanks, I will give it a try. I guess they provide the heat, not flavor? Maybe I will play around with a few differnt kinds. Thanks for you help.

Habs are pretty freakin hot with very little flavor discernible from the heat. I don't know why you'd smoke them, personally I'd not smoke anything hotter than serranos or jalapenos. In fact jalapenos smoked have tons of flavor, so why not use those and a dab of fresh habanero for extra heat if you like?

I dunno, I guess my beef with habaneros is that they're a macho thing thrown into foods so people can say "I ate some habanero such-and-such." Unless you're immune to blistering your mouth then you'll never get pepepr flavor and only heat from habs since you must be so sparing with them.

(P.S. - At a college party in Austin I met a guy eating them fresh from a bag by the dozen. I figured they had to be fake since he was so casual about it. He offered me one and I stupidly chewed it up. Guy was a freak of nature or something! That said I love raw jalapenos and can eat plenty of them.)

Back