Just purchased an older Performer on craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Calhoun

TVWBB Fan
Hello, first time poster here. I've been a lurker for awhile now.

Anyway, I just purchased a used blue Performer from Craigslist for 35 dollars in Southern California. My model doesn't have the gas starter though--really bummed. I just learned that the gas unit was optional prior to 2000.

I've been searching for a pre 2005 Performer for a few months now. I've searched ebay and Craigslist. This is the first pre 05' Performer that I could find in my area. It's in decent shape and it cleaned up pretty good considering it's age. There's a small amont of surface rust on the frame that hopefully I can clean up. Otherwise, it's in great shape.

Would it be possible to upgrade to the gas starter? For some reason I have my heart set on the gas ignition. If not, I'll use this one until I can find a model with the gas starter. I know the kettle would have to be modified to accept the gas burner tube. It looks like the igniter and propane bottle would hang in the compartment next to the charcoal storage container.

I couldn't pass on this deal for 35 bucks. The older Performers are really difficult to find in my area.

Here are some pictures.

Performer_1a.jpg

Performer_2a.jpg

Performer_3a.jpg

Performer_4a.jpg

Nice score for $35, Jeff! Even without the gas starter.

Is the last picture a pic of the kettle underneath the table? If it is, it looks like the kettle bowl is different than mine with the gas starter. The gas burner enters the bowl about three or four inches above the ash assembly (so it would be just below the charcoal grate level) and I don't see a hole there. You would have to drill through the kettle (I think) for the burner to enter. Once it is light outside here I can take a picture of mine underneath so you can see how the burner gets into the kettle.

You can always light the charcoal in a Weber chimney using their starter blocks or torch, or if you like overkill use the burner from a turkey fryer!
icon_smile.gif

FWIW, many of us with the gas igniter, and I have the older Performer, feel a chimney actually works better. In fact, that's what I use. Don't have to worry about turning the gas off 5 minutes later - I just use a Weber chimney and one Weber cube.

Paul

For $35 not bad. Just go to Home Depot and get you the Chimney Starter for $12.99. I have a Performer I received from work as a prize a couple of years ago and just use the chimney starter. Just as quick and efficient. My ignitor went on the brink a few days after I bought my first chimney and I tried that and liked it just as much as having a gas starter.

Thanks for all the replies. I purchased a Weber Chimney starter and it works great.

Here's the reply I got from Weber customer service:

"Thanks for choosing Weber. You have the charcoal Performer. There is no way to safely add the gas ignition to that. Sorry for any inconvenience."

Originally posted by Paul G.:
FWIW, many of us with the gas igniter, and I have the older Performer, feel a chimney actually works better. In fact, that's what I use. Don't have to worry about turning the gas off 5 minutes later - I just use a Weber chimney and one Weber cube.

Paul

Does the Weber cube work better than newspaper? I haven't had any problems using two sheets of newspaper with the Weber Chimney.

Haven't used the cube. I have been saving my old charcoal bags and ripping them in strips. They sure do burn good and hot!

Also try using a couple pieces of paper towels and a little vegetable oil to start the chimney. Seems to burn cleaner with very little to no ash, specially compared to newspaper. This was one of the best tips I have gotten from this site when it comes to lighting the grill. Give it a try...

Since I bought my Performer I have not touched the chimney starter. Love the gas ignition. If I had found that model you did for $35 I wouldnt of passed it up either though, and I probably would not bother trying to add the gas ignition.

If your using newspaper for the chimney find something else! Newspaper creates alot of flying ash that seems dangerous, especially down here where it is so dry. When I used the chimney I usually started them with a chafing dish burner, the kind with a wick. They cost around $1 and start over 50 chimneys. Congrats on the score, love the color
icon_biggrin.gif

oimg_010226161248.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back