Two-Cheese Squash Casserole - very tasty

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Got more yellow squash coming out of the garden than you know what to do with? Or did you forget and leave your car door unlocked only to find a sack full of squash had been left there by a devious neighbor with an overflowing garden? Here's a delicious use for some of it. Pretty much a basic good old-fashioned southern-style cheesy creamy casserole - not on many diets, but VERY good. A little bit of cayenne pepper perks it up, as does a thinly sliced jalapeno sauted in with the onion and garlic.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two-Cheese Squash Casserole

4 pounds yellow squash, sliced
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs, divided
1 1/4 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

Cook squash in boiling water to cover in a large skillet 8 to 10 minutes or just until tender. Drain well; gently press between paper towels. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic, and sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Remove skillet from heat; stir in squash, 1 cup breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and next 7 ingredients. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.

Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Stir together melted butter, remaining 1 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and garlic salt. Sprinkle mixture evenly over top of casserole.

Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until set.

Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings

Southern Living, MAY 2004

Jim, the smaller squash are less "seedy" too. I always buy the smallest I can find.

I've copied this recipe and it's on my "do" list.

Thanks, Keri!

Rita

Back