Stoker Fan Extension Question

Derrick Russ

I need an extension cable for my blower fan. I purchased one of the 20 foot (only length they had) 1/4 in stereo extension cables from Radio shack as I had heard that would work. Unfortunately when it is plugged in and then connected to the fan the Stoker does not find any probes or blowers. When I unplug it it is fine. I know the fan gets power as when it is connected and turned on for the first time the fan starts to blow just as it does when I first turn it on without the extension.

Any ideas? I was thinking a shorter length (I only need about 5 feet) but this was all radio shack had.

Can you doublecheck that it is stereo? It should have three areas of contact at the jack, not two. There is a long section next to the plug, and then two insulation rings.

It is stereo. I think it is the quality of the cable and the length of the run (20'). I have heard that the quality of the cable may be the issue as the fan may draw too much power for this length of run and resistance of the cable. I am looking for a shorter run to see it that may help as I only need this for about 4-6 feet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Derrick Russ:
It is stereo. I think it is the quality of the cable and the length of the run (20'). I have heard that the quality of the cable may be the issue as the fan may draw too much power for this length of run and resistance of the cable. I am looking for a shorter run to see it that may help as I only need this for about 4-6 feet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like it's a stereo cable. Does it work with the temperature probes? A lot of radio shack stuff is pretty cheap, so it's probably dropping too much voltage on the tiny aluminum wire they use. I would also re-plug it to the stoker box a few time with the power off to insure a good connection, then turn it back on.

Well it isn't the legnth alone. I have a 20ft extension that I made from Thermostat wire. I keep the stoker in the house, and run a wire to a juntion box that I built. Then I run all the probes and fan to the waterproof junction box. Works like a charm.

Would you have schematics or plans for this waterproof junction box? That sounds like something I would be interested in trying to build.

Well, I don't have any plans or anything. Basically, it is a series of magnets attatched to an "L" bracket. At the bottom of the L we attached a threaded rod, with a series of disks and attached the stero pluts to them. Then we put a pvc tube over the top.

Back