Texas Chili

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
This recipe is from the McCormick website.

Get a burst of flavor from this traditional Texas style chili, better known in Texas as "bowl of red."
Makes 6 servings.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
Spice Blend:
3 tablespoons Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Cumin, Ground
1 teaspoon California Style Garlic Powder with Parsley
1 teaspoon Oregano Leaves
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper, Coarse Ground
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper, Ground
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 cup chopped onion
1 can (14 ounces) beef broth
1 can (12 ounces) beer or 3/4 cup water
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
1 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoons water
1. Mix all spice blend ingredients in small bowl. Set aside.

2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add beef; brown on all sides. Remove beef; set aside. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in saucepan. Add onion; cook and stir 3 minutes.

3. Stir in browned beef, spice blend, beef broth, beer and tomato paste. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

4. Mix flour and water until smooth. Slowly stir into chili. Simmer 15 minutes or until desired thickness. Serve with shredded cheese and sliced green onions, if desired.

I'm here to tell ya that it don't make 6 servings, unless a serving is a cup.
I had to add a can of Bush's Chili Beans to stretch it. May add another can.

I made it exactly as the recipe called for, except I left out the Cayenne, and used a whole onion instead of a cup.

This is REALLY heavy on the spices, but not hot. What I'm trying to say is that you can almost chew the spices, there's so many of 'em versus the rest of the stuff.

With all that said, it tasted good to me, and with the addition of the beans, I'm sure there won't be any leftovers.

OH...BTW, I didn't use beer, I used my ol' standby Hurricane Malt Liquor.
icon_razz.gif

Before the beans were added.
DSC00319.JPG

Back