What happens during meat inspection?

ScottF

After several years of home BBQ'ing, I am planning on entering a few BBQ comps this year. I think I am pretty clear on most aspects of the what happens at a competition, but I do have a question about the meat inspection. What are the judges looking at during the inspection? Does the meat need to be in its store/butcher wrapping or can it be transferred to a storage container or ziploc bag?

Thanks,

Scott
Toronto, Ontario

We leave our briskets & butts in the original cryo vac, and we seal our ribs & chicken after we prep them at home with our foodsaver. I wouldnt leave any meat in paper because that will leak. You want everything to be on ice and super clean.

Inspection procedures probably differ between sanctioning bodies but at a KCBS contest there is no requirement any of your meats must be in their original packaging. It's also not necessary to show any receipts.

A lot of teams will trim their chicken at home since cleanup is so much easier in a home kitchen. That's also perfectly legal.

The inspector won't be a judge since that could give them advance knowledge about what you're turning in. Instead, it will somebody else appointed by the contest's organizer. A rep could also inspect the meat if the regular inspector isnt' around.

The inspector will primarily be looking at your meats to ensure you have the proper cuts, they are of the proper minimum size, have not been preseasoned, and that you are exercising common sense about safe food handling and keeping the meats on ice.

If you have any questions, take it up with the contest reps since they will ultimately make any final decisions about your entries.

The inspection sounds like an imposing process but it's not. Don't forget to have fun.

Ken

On/under ice, clean, not pre-seasoned or marinated.

An inspector suggested to me that if you are going to remove the meat from it’s packaging to cut out the USDA stamps and throw them in a zip lock bag in your cooler. He said it wasn’t his personal requirement, but that he had seen it and offered it as a suggestion as I was competing in a backyard division. Not sure if anyone else has run into this.

I can only speak to FBA. Below is stolen from their webpage on rules. I suspect that it can't be that incredibly different than other sanctioning bodies.

"All meats must be USDA or state DA inspected and passed. No pre-seasoning, injecting, marinating or cooking of any entry is permitted until after inspection by the Official Meat Inspector as appointed by the FBA Representative or the contest organizer. Meat inspection begins at noon on the day prior to the contest. All meat must be maintained at a maximum temperature of 40 degrees F prior to inspection. Prior to cooking, all meat that is resting in preparation for cooking must be covered at all times. All meats must be cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees F. After cooking all meat must be maintained at a minimum temperature of 140 degrees F in a covered container until turned in for judging. All contest meat, once inspected, may not leave the cook team's site until turn in."

You can pre-trim the meat and put it in Zip-Lock bags. Just be sure to put the original tag that has the inspection, date, description, etc in the bag with it.

They will want to physically see the meat in the bag and I usually put a self-standing thermometer on top that shows/proves that the meat is in an environment that is below 40. I also keep the receipt from when I purchased the meat on hand so that the prices on the receipt match the prices on the labels in with the meat. That way I can show when and where I bought it. I've never had an issue with an inspector.

Russ

Russ,

I have a further question on the tag. So if I buy my thighs at a farmers market, I should just keep the market's label ? The bag they put the chicken in of course doesn't have a USDA stamp.

For KCBS there is no requirement to keep the original tags or wrapping. Many teams trim brisket, butt, chicken and ribs before they get to the contest and freeze their stuff after cryovacing it.

The requirements are:
- meat can not be marinated, seasoned or injected b4 inspection
- meat needs to be on or in ice
- pork shoulder must weigh at least 5lbs raw
- brisket cannot be "corned"

KCBS Rules

Sorry for the delayed reply. Had to go compete in Starke this last weekend.

The meat should have some sort of USDA or state inspection affixed to it. Mainly they are wanting to be sure that you didn't bring the chicken, hog, or cow from the back yard to use for competition. If the place where you are buying it can provide something (really most anything) that can prove that the meat is quality and not purchased from 'Jethro's Meat Market, Tire Store, and RV Repair Shop' down the street.

Russ

Even though I've competed, I've never trimmed at home. If I trim at home, what would be the best way to re-wrap it? Do I need some kind of cryovac machine or will plastic wrap be ok? Or maybe something else?

And I would be trimming the night before the comp, so it doesn't' need to be something that will hold a long time.

I just use Zip_Lock freezer bags and try to get as much air out of it as possible. Zip-Lock also sells a hand held vacuum thingy that I've seen used. If you've got a vac machine then so much the better. The big key is being absolutely sure to keep it below 40.

Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sorry for the delayed reply. Had to go compete in Starke this last weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Starke, FL? They have a contest at the state prison?

Our team has been competing for the past 4 years and any meats we trim at home are either placed in vac pac foodsaver bags or in large enough ziploc bag and then placed into a cooler with ice over the meat.

I have never had a rep at a KCBS comp tell me that the meat needs a USDA stamp or State certification. The USDA does not inspect pork or chicken for grade as they do with beef anyway.

If your meat is not pre-seasoned or injected or cooked...in other words in it's raw, uncooked state; packed in ice, you won't have any problems.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
Our team has been competing for the past 4 years and any meats we trim at home are either placed in vac pac foodsaver bags or in large enough ziploc bag and then placed into a cooler with ice over the meat.

I have never had a rep at a KCBS comp tell me that the meat needs a USDA stamp or State certification. The USDA does not inspect pork or chicken for grade as they do with beef anyway.

If your meat is not pre-seasoned or injected or cooked...in other words in it's raw, uncooked state; packed in ice, you won't have any problems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The USDA / DA requirement comes up under FBA rules.

Back