Steak on the Q200

Jay Yurine

TVWBB Member
Here's a sirloin that I cooked on my Q200 tonite. I sprinkled some Montreal steak seasoning on parts of the steak. I set the grill on high, and used some Jack Daniel's smoking pellets. It came out pretty good, cooked medium rare.

It's been a while since I've used the grill, as I've been going w/ charcoal. However, the Q is convenient.

Ahhhh, that's pretty!

How did you do the pellets? Pouch on the grill grate or some other way? I have the Q 220 and if I can make real smoke, I'll use it more often.

Thanks,

Pat

Hi Pat,

I used a foil pouch and put a small slit in it. In order to get the pouch to smoke, I have to crank the heat pretty high. On the low setting, I don't get much smoke. Wal-mart carried the pellets in the past, but I haven't seen in for a while. Someone told me that Bruno's carries them.

Jay -

Now if I did it right, here it is:

3295820079_ac5520169a.jpg

What you want to do:

Right click the picture you want to put in your post
select copy location
in the post select the picture icon, second from the right
paste the picture location
hit ok

Jay
That`s a good looking piece of beef, but over here we wouldn`t call that a sirloin.
Is it perhaps a top/bottom butt ?
What we call sirloin here, is what you guys call a NY strip.
Just interested in the terminology.

Pete.

Jay - if this were a KCBS BBQ contest, that steak would get a 9+ for appearance - the grill marks are gorgeous!

Wish I hadn't eaten dinner already - I'd be headed to the store to get some fresh cut steaks to cook for myself! I've got a Q220 and oddly enough, steak is one thing I've not cooked on it yet!

Ahhh, maybe this weekend!

Pat

Jay
Now that's what I am talking about. That looks better than restaurant quality and as nice a steak as I have seen done anywhere on a Q (including me)
One decadent serving tip - put a teaspoon of butter on the steak whilst letting it rest, it adds a sheen/glaze to the steak and the melted butter mixes in with the steak juices to form a wonderful flavoured gravy, and flavours from the rub also mix with the butter. Generally I don't use a rub on the steak but add herbs and spices to the butter.

Regards

Thanks everyone for the kind comments (Phil, Pat, Pete). I'll remember that Bob, to post pictures in the future.

My wife bought the steak and told me it was sirloin.

I'm certainly no expert like Phil. I pretty much cranked up the heat to the max and threw the steak on the grate. I wiped the grate with some olive oil.

Back