Just took delivery of my pit mider

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
Just wondering if there is any mods or tricks I need to know about before using the pit minder for the first time. I opted for the larger 10CFM pit viper blower.
Thanks
Rick

I had one for a few years and was very happy with it. Just start your fire with the MM and let the Pitminder do the rest. I don't use water in the pan. I rolled then unrolled 5 foil sheets for the pan then a sheet over the top to catch the drippings.

MikeZ

Rick,

You should notice there is a damper located in the fans outlet side . It is a slide device that allows you to restrict the free air flow when the fan is not running. When you reach your target temp, you will notice this as the fan starts to cycle , you may find the need to close it part way depending on the cooking temp you have selected. This time of year, warm , with a cooking temp around 225 I close my damper to 1/3 open to ½ open. You can close the top to 2/3 open. Enjoy that Pit Minder!

Rick

One thing that many of us with Pitminders have found is that the dial setting doesn't reflect the actual temperature. It's very accurate, but it often requires an offset. For example, if you set it at 225, the temp may actually settle at 250 or 210 or some other temperature. If you have a thermometer that you trust, you can place the probes next to each other. If your thermometer is a dial type, you can put it through the lid and dangle the Pitminder probe at the same position. The difference in reading between the thermometer and the Pitminder dial gives you your offset. The offset seems to be linear, so once you know what it is, you just compensate.

Back