Sweet Chicken Bacon Bites

Benny L.

TVWBB Fan
I got this simple recipe from my friend Deek, who got it from a friend, etc. It may originally be from Paula Dean, and if so, credit goes to her.

These are easy and tasty little appetizers from a basic recipe, and y'all can tweak the ingredients to your heart's content.

The recipe as I got it:

----
* 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
* 1-pound package sliced bacon
* 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
* 2 Tbsp chili powder

* Toothpicks, soaked in water 15-30 min

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes. Cut each bacon slice into thirds. Wrap each chicken cube with bacon and secure with a toothpick. Stir together brown sugar and chili powder. Dredge wrapped chicken in mixture. Coat a rack and broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken wrap on rack in broiler pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until bacon is crisp.

-----

Easy modifications:

Obviously, you can get as fancy as you want with the rub. I don't like plain chili powder, so I substituted 1 Tbsp ground New Mexico red chili. Use whatever flavor and spice you like.

I also sliced up some fresh jalapenos to slide in under the bacon on a few of these.

Finally, I was grilling when I tried the recipe, so I used a grilling pan to cook batches of them over mostly indirect heat for 20-30 minutes. Just watch them, turn after 15 minutes or so, and cook until done.

On the Grill

Finished Product

(Click pics for larger image).

Back