Great Corn on the Cob

M D Baldwin

TVWBB Super Fan
First of all I don't want to offend my Southern Brothers and Sisters, but here in the Midwest (Ohio) nothing beats freash sweetcorn right out of the field or fresh in the market. In the off season, we can get corn from Florida or Georgia, but it hardly compares to the great stuff here in the summer and fall.
If you have a chance to get really fresh corn from a farm market, preferably picked that morning, it is the best
Take the ears and shuck them and remove the silk. Cut about 1/2" off the tip and place into cold water for a few hours or overnight.
Take about 9-12" piece of Aluminum foil and put the ear in the middle. Place about 1-2 TBS of butter-no margarine. Add 1 TBS of fine, fresh chopped onion on each side of the ear and add some salt and pepper and roll the ear up in the foil.
Put on the grill over direct heat and cook for a total time of about 30-45 min. depending on the size of the ear and the heat. Turn once about halfway through the cooking time.

The key here is fresh. I lived in Orlando for 20 years before moving up here right next to the Great White North and I can tell you that Florida's sweet corn is excellent. We bought fresh sweet corn form the Zellwood Corn Festival every year for a dollar a dozen!! And it was some of the best corn I've ever had. Corn up here isn't bad either, but not like that from Zellwood.

A few hour cold soak in fresh water (no additives) and grill 'em about 45 minutes. We've done them de-silked with the husk re-wrapped or straight from the farm. The silk is easily removed when removing the husk should you decide to do it that way. Foiling with a bit of butter after removing the husk is fantastik too!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I buy my sweet corn from one of the many roadside farmers stands here and then take it home and soak it in a plastic bucket in cold water with 1 cup of sugar added for 4 hours, husk and all.

I then lay it directly on the grill for about 45 minutes or until the husk is pretty well charred on all sides.

Then de-husk and use it for handle, rub ear in butter and add salt and pepper. ummm, ummm!

Back