Your favorite BBQ book

Jeff Wildrick

TVWBB Fan
My birthday is coming up, and my wife wants to know what I'd like as a gift. Since I'm having so much fun with my WSM, I was thinking that one or two great books about BBQ might be fun. I'd be particularly interested in a book that focuses more on theory, and less on recipes.

What's your favorite BBQ book, and why?

Jeff

I don't have any. I've been looking at "Smoke and Spice" on Amazon, and it sounds good.

It would be nice to also find a book with great pictures.

Jeff,

I always have trouble picking a favorite BBQ book. I don't think you can't go wrong with 'Smoke and Spice' and like Bryan, the Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook is one of my favorites as well.

Also among my favorites is 'Legends of Texas Barbecue'. It has great narrative and discusses the variety of ways that the some of the famous Texas BBQ pit masters prepare meat.

'Smokestack Lightning' is more of a BBQ odyssey than anything else, but it's a pretty good read as well.

I too like Smoke & Spice, can't go wrong there.

I know you asked for BBQ book but I thought I'd throw this one out there too, it's called Mastering the Grill; Ed C. gave it to me for my birthday and I love it. A life time of recipes and lots of good Kevin Kruger type information about spices, chiles, cuts of meats etc.

Hey Jeff if ya want to save your money for toys go to your local library. If they don't have it they can borrow it from another library. Or as they say sleep in it before you buy it. It generally takes about 3 days to get them in. Your local library should have a web page you can request it yourself if you would like.

I would, and it is my go to book, reccomend "Peace Love and Barbecue" by Mike Mills. I have Smoke and Spice, but I prefer Peace, and it is the one most of my friends request to borrow
icon_cool.gif

Jeff,
For starters, I would 2nd the suggestion for the Dr BBQ Championship cookbook. I would also recommend Barbeque and Sausage Making Secrets by Charlie Knote. Those are two of my faves as far as cooking, and bbq cooking. As far as reading about bbq, its culture and history, I love Smokestack Lightning(Elie) and The Grand Barbeque(Worgul) I have read and re-read both many times.
Matt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...and lots of good Kevin Kruger type information about spices, chiles, cuts of meats etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like that description. I'm sold! Hey here's an idea. Put together a book from all of Kevin Kruger's posts, divide them into chapters and when you get it done send us all a copy.
icon_cool.gif

Have you heard of Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ books? The one on sauces is supposed to be particularly good. I have those and Smoke and Spice on my list.

I just got the Weber book for father's day. Seems very simple without being too simplistic. Lots of fancy pictures and easy to follow hints.

517BQS60G0L._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Suh:
I just got the Weber book for father's day. Seems very simple without being too simplistic. Lots of fancy pictures and easy to follow hints.

517BQS60G0L._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I apologize, this is a grilling book. Not a BBQ book.
icon_smile.gif

These are such great suggestions. Thanks everyone.

I sure wish I needed more gadgets, 'cause this would be a great time to put them on my list!

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Pearson:
I would, and it is my go to book, reccomend "Peace Love and Barbecue" by Mike Mills. I have Smoke and Spice, but I prefer Peace, and it is the one most of my friends request to borrow
icon_cool.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a lot of them, I think Peace, Love, and BB is my favorite also, although Dr. BBQ's are all good, Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ is also good, anything by the Jamisons...(we probably have at least 60 or so bbq books, so hard to pick!

all are great books. i have an extensive collection and i'm always adding when i can get 'em cheap. please don't forget steven raichlens books. but my main turn to book is alway peace love and barbecue.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Jeff, I have many, but my Favorite is this one by Ray Lampe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second this one.

Have you heard of Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ books? I have learned a lot from this book great basic for starting out.

Good time tables to start checking your meat.

Good sauces. Good Rubs. GOOD NORTH CAROLINA VINEGAR. Just a good base to learn and experiment with.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dsitterson:
Have you heard of Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ books? I have learned a lot from this book great basic for starting out.

Good time tables to start checking your meat.

Good sauces. Good Rubs. GOOD NORTH CAROLINA VINEGAR. Just a good base to learn and experiment with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is my go to book. a lot of good info there.i also like how each food type chapter(pork,beef,etc.) gives you a run down of the best ways to grill and BBQ different cuts of meat. my daughter gave me "mastering the grill" for christmas and it is pretty good as well. it's a pretty techinical book about how and why things happen. but between the 2 i prefer paul kirk's book. steven raichlen also has some good books. i hear good things about BBQ bible but don't own it. i do own How To Grill and it is a great book for beginners as well as seasoned grillers.

The Ray Lampe books are "Big Time" helpful... and they are a good read even when you're not cooking!

Back