Your butt(s)

MikeD125

TVWBB All-Star
So, reading through people's post they smoke their butts at a variety of different temperatures.

Me:
I aim for 225F. If I want to do a faster butt I will cook at 250F, until I reach an internal temp of 160, then foil with a little AJ in it.

So what do you guy's do?

I shoot for a 250* average. I don't chase temps so if it's a bit higher or lower I don't get too concerned. I also don't foil butts. I just let them go to get all that great bark which I love. Heck, I don't even open the cooker till it's done unless I am adding more food.

I do 225-250 foil with AJ at 160 then when it his 185 I unwrap and remove from the smoker at 202-205.

225-250, for a long time i would foil at 160. after quite a few cooks on the WSM, i find that in warm/hot outside temps and full water pan, the butts don't stall until 170ish. I also get a better bark letting them go up to 170 before foiling.

I run them anywhere from 225 to 255, depending on how soon I want them done. I prefer the lower end of that range if possible. I foil at 170-175 and finish at 205 (roughly...they're done when they're done). Butts are pretty flexible and forgiving; often, I'm cooking something else at the same time and I adjust the butts' cook to be done when the other meat is done.

I always do my butts & picnics 275-300 measured @ the top vent. I foil when I like the color and take them till tender. I don't trim, and go FC down the whole time.:wsm:
In a hurry and short on time.. I'll do the kick-*** HH method. Great way to do it in the middle of winter.

Tim

250 degrees here, into a foil pan at 170 till it reaches 205. Rest for an hour or 2, pull, add finishing sauce, enjoy.

Back