You know your ribs are done when...

John Bridgman

TVWBB Super Fan
I had one supermarket rack of spares left over so figured I would cook it up for tonight. Usual setup -- Weber Performer, char baskets at each side with foil and drip pan in the middle, but only burning one basket at a time to keep the temps down.

Definitely wasn't my day for paying attention. Instead of starting a Minion burn in the first basket I put the basket over the lighter and got the whole basket of lump burning. No problem -- closed the bottom vent, 25% on the top vent, lid temp stabilized around 275F.

After a couple of hours, the lid temp was just starting to drop so I opened the vents and started moving lit coals over to the other basket, which was full of unlit lump. I left the vents open to make sure the second basket started to burn OK.

Remembered after an hour or so that I still had the vents open (Dang !!). Ran outside; temp pushing 400F. Pulled the lid off; ribs were dark and seemed noticeably smaller. Meat was pulled back >1/2" on one end of the bones.

Figured I would check to see if they were done before pulling them off. They sure looked crispy, but I've been wrong before. Grabbed the two bones in the middle of the rack for a quick tear test, and both bones came out in my hands.

Results were pretty much what you would expect -- fast hot cooking does not make for tender ribs.

Oh well. The dogs will help me eat them
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Baker:
I'm sure the dogs didn't complain!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Seeing as how dogs are mans best friend and all I would think that you should put at least as much care into the preparation of their ribs as you do the ribs you cook for your human (read: NOT MANS BEST FRIEND) friends.
icon_wink.gif

It's now 12 hours later and the dogs are still standing by the kitchen counter barking and whining for more ribs.

They stopped when I turned the lights out but as soon as the sun came up they were right back on station again.

Agreed. Since I have opposable thumbs I get first dibs on each rib, then I rinse the spices off under the tap before the dogs get their turn.

Back