You have $500 for CHARCOAL BBQ equipment what do you buy?

JHunter

TVWBB Super Fan
I like this question because, considering you can cook anything on the kettles and there are so many kettles, it can have so many interesting answers. Also add any accessories like a rotisserie or a smokenator if you think it will make you the grill master.

Has to be retail, no CL specials. I will start it off...

I probably get the following:

18" WSM $300
22.5 OTG $150
Go Anywhere $50

or

26.75 OTG $300
18.5 OTG $130
18.5 OTS $70 (maybe made into a portable)

How about you?

Depends on how much you cook. Do you really need 2 Kettles? A 26" can handle any family-size cook.

How about ...

26.75 OTG $300
18.5 OTS $70 (with DIY shorty-leg kit for portability)

or ...

22.5 OTG $150
Cajun Bandit Smoker Conversion Kit $225
Cajun Rotisserie Bundle $150

A round trip ticket to Las Vegas to think about what i would buy.

Seriously
1. 26.75 OTG Kettle 300.00
2. Kingsford Blue Charcoal 100.00 worth
3. Beer 100.00 worth

Lots of love for the 26.75 here....I am pretty disappointed in mine. Wish I had bought a performer.

22.5 OTG for $150
2 SJS for $60
2 Imusa 32 qt pots $50
$200 for a Q220 and $25 for the 20LP canister adapter

leaves $15 for charcoal & gas

Darrel why are u disappointed at the 26.75, i just got one have not used it yet, making up my mind on a few things i would like to do with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darrel Williams:
Lots of love for the 26.75 here....I am pretty disappointed in mine. Wish I had bought a performer.

22.5 OTG for $150
2 SJS for $60
2 Imusa 32 qt pots $50
$200 for a Q220 and $25 for the 20LP canister adapter

leaves $15 for charcoal & gas </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's not to love about a BIGGER OTG?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charles Howse:
BEER! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>& MEAT!

I pretty much have everything I need/want.
I do REALLY love the Performer, even though that love is forbidden. Sure puts a strain on my old back trying to keep her satisfied. I have to read books on the outside just to keep up with her.
I would spend much money on MEAT, fine meat, meat worthy of her.
I must stop now...she is calling...me.

I have b!+(#ed about this before but...

What I don't like about my 2010 26.75...
1) the legs are no stronger than those of the 22.5 which make the whole thing a little wobbly IMHO.
2) The replacement grill grates are about 5 TIMES more expensive than the grates for the 22.5!!!! Yes, 5 times.

3) The BIGGEST reason, is that the 3 flanges that hold the legs on are very weak. DO NOT EVER ATTEMPT TO MOVE IT WHILE IT IS HOT, EVEN OVER A SMOOTH CONCRETE SURFACE OR THE FLANGES WILL BEND. The flanges have bent so my grill leans backward about 4 inches. I can and have pounded them back to straight, but doing so to the flanges is fatiguing the metal. I certainly see this as something that will get worse with age. I used this grill a lot this summer, but it was new in April.

I am still a very big Weber fan. I just think that they did not beef up (pun intended) the 26.75 for heavier weight like they should have.

Ironically, I just sold my 18.5 WSM on craigslist, when I was very happy with the WSM. I used that to fund a Big Steel Keg. So now I have...

24" wide Lowes gasser.
26.75 Weber OTG
Big Steel Keg
Weber Q220 - brand new, bought specifically for easy portability
1 old beat up SJS

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I have to read books on the outside just to keep up with her.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

reference noted Aunt Jemima

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darrel Williams:

1) the legs are no stronger than those of the 22.5 which make the whole thing a little wobbly IMHO.
2) The replacement grill grates are about 5 TIMES more expensive than the grates for the 22.5!!!! Yes, 5 times.

3) The BIGGEST reason, is that the 3 flanges that hold the legs on are very weak. DO NOT EVER ATTEMPT TO MOVE IT WHILE IT IS HOT, EVEN OVER A SMOOTH CONCRETE SURFACE OR THE FLANGES WILL BEND. The flanges have bent so my grill leans backward about 4 inches. I can and have pounded them back to straight, but doing so to the flanges is fatiguing the metal. I certainly see this as something that will get worse with age. I used this grill a lot this summer, but it was new in April.

I am still a very big Weber fan. I just think that they did not beef up (pun intended) the 26.75 for heavier weight like they should have.

Ironically, I just sold my 18.5 WSM on craigslist, when I was very happy with the WSM. I used that to fund a Big Steel Keg. So now I have...

24" wide Lowes gasser.
26.75 Weber OTG
Big Steel Keg
Weber Q220 - brand new, bought specifically for easy portability
1 old beat up SJS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

edited to add: More toys and accessories are designed for the 22.5, including the upcoming grill grate with a wok hole in it.

Darrel i did see that on one of the kettles at the Academy Store, the ot system would not move cause the flange's were caved into the bowl, i just thought some one had put to much weight in side of the bowl, gd thing is weber does have a 10 yr warranty, weber might be replacing a lot of bowls.
I should not have that problem with mine, i am going to cut out the bottom and mount it on my wsm.

I am still a very big Weber fan. I just think that they did not beef up (pun intended) the 26.75 for heavier weight like they should have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Darrel, for the head's up. I guess I'll be happy w/ my two 22" kettles and Char-griller for grilling.

I sure would like a Cajun Bandit conversion for one of my kettles to smoke ribs and chicken on, though. My wsm is a little small for the ribs and chicken cooks I do, but perfect for portability and lots of bbq pork shoulder or brisket.

Right now in life:
$400 – 1x 22” WSM
$100 – 6x 8 lb butts to break it in

If I was starting from scratch
$300 – 1x 18” WSM
$150 – 1x 22” OTG
$50 – Chimney, welding gloves, thermoworks wired meat probe 362b

If I could only have 1 cooking device

$300 – Performer
$50 – Chimney, welding gloves, thermoworks wired meat probe 362b
$100 – Thermapen
$50 – Beer to drown my sorrows of having 1 grill. Not sure how I lived this way in the past.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill S.:
Lets see...

A freezer
Meat
Spices </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How are you going to cook it, you just ran out of money...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JHunter:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill S.:
Lets see...

A freezer
Meat
Spices </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How are you going to cook it, you just ran out of money... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoops..Thought you meant $500 plus my WSM I already have.

Back