Yeeeeehaw! Nailed it!

Andrew Sacco

I posted previously under "Bummer BRITU". Finally, FOURTH try is a charm. First time: not enough heat, wouldn't cook. Used the standard method as outlined on the cooking topics page. You all said use the Minion, but I was stubborn and tried the standard again (determined to make it work). Second time, again wouldn't cook, but pouring rain and wind, cool temps didn't help. Made a mess, got dark, very unsatisfying. Third time, the idiot at the grocery said St. Louis style ribs were "identical" in taste to loin backs, and that's all they had, so I got them. I had to cook when I had the time to. They really sucked. Again, temps an issue. Today absoluted loaded the charcoal ring, did the standard method, and 4.5 hours later the meat tore easy, wife and mother in law and kids can't believe it. Thanks for letting me share. I'm a beginner at this, and all the hassle was worth it. Next weekend I have my first party with ribs taking center stage.

I think many of us had some early attempts that ended up feeding the dog...
icon_biggrin.gif

Hmmph... I did a brisket one time that even the dog wouldn't eat - and that's no exageration. That was the first and ONLY time that I used the bottom rack with sand in the pan, by the way.
icon_rolleyes.gif

You really oughta try that Minion approach - you'd be amazed at how well temps will hold and how long the heat will last. Enjoy spoiling your friends and family with your new hobby!

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time
Hot Wire BBQ

I will try the Minion next. The real reason that I kept trying the standard method was that I just couldn't keep the temp at 225-250 for more than three hours. It hovered after that, with all sorts of things short of adding more hot coals, at around 195 at the grate. So I said heck with the advice to add "another chimney" full of charcoal (Kingsford) and just filled the ring up. Now as I sit here it's 8 hours later and the grate just hit 190 degrees (grill is empty). So I've just solved a problem which I'll file in my memory bank. I love the unit and I have all of you to thank for the great posts here.

Originally posted by Keri C:

You really oughta try that Minion approach - you'd be amazed at how well temps will hold and how long the heat will last. Enjoy spoiling your friends and family with your new hobby!
Keri

I'm doing my first "smoke" with lump charcoal and the Minion deal. Even though it's a brand new unit I've been holding 230F for the past 4 hours or so.

I sprinkled apple and cherry wood chips in the lump charcoal layers and then placed 4 "chunks" of maple wood which I got from a good friend here in Oregon.

I'm really pleased with the ability to hold the temps with this method in spite of the fact that this is a brand new Weber smoker since I'd read on this venue that one might experience "higher temps" with a new unit.

BTW - I'm using lump charcoal which is the "Royal Oak" brand that I purchased over at WalMart here in town.

Best wishes!

Jim

Hi Jim, good to see another Portlander on the board. Was curious why you are going with lump over regular Kingsford (I haven't tried lump yet). What did you smoke? I didn't find much affect on the temp when my WSM was new--I don't think it's a major issue.

This weekend I'm hoping to smoke 3 racks of Costco baby backs, a butt, and maybe one of those chuck rolls (small if I can find) that I read about on another post.

Lump has a more pure cooking effect on meats. Charcoal can sometimes drown out the mix of flavors (meat vs. rub vs. wood flavor).

I almost always use lump.

Originally posted by Dennis D:
Hi Jim, good to see another Portlander on the board. Was curious why you are going with lump over regular Kingsford (I haven't tried lump yet). What did you smoke? I didn't find much affect on the temp when my WSM was new--I don't think it's a major issue.

This weekend I'm hoping to smoke 3 racks of Costco baby backs, a butt, and maybe one of those chuck rolls (small if I can find) that I read about on another post.
Dennis

Greetings from Portland!

The reason that I went with "lump" was simply because of the info from the gentleman who introduced me to smoking/BBQ

My first smoke was a pork shoulder that I picked up over at Walmart in Gresham. I checked the prices at a local "Cash & Carry" store - better prices and a lot less fat, IMHO.

I've done COSTCO baby backs using another smoker and was really pleased with the result.

I'm down in Oregon City - what part of Portland are you in?

Jim

Jim, I'm in Gresham. I tried the Division Cash & Carry when I was looking for pork butts and didn't see any fresh meat there at all--only frozen. Did I miss it?

Costco doesn't seem to have bone-in butts so I have been going to Freddy's for those. I've looked at Mall Wart but haven't bought anything.

It's really difficult to find meat that has not been enhanced, but I just leave salt out of the rub and it comes out good.

Jim, I'm in Gresham. I tried the Division Cash & Carry when I was looking for pork butts and didn't see any fresh meat there at all--only frozen. Did I miss it?

Costco doesn't seem to have bone-in butts so I have been going to Freddy's for those. I've looked at Mall Wart but haven't bought anything.

It's really difficult to find meat that has not been enhanced, but I just leave salt out of the rub and it comes out good.
Dennis

I shop at the "Cash & Carry" in Clackamas - they have just about anything you'd ever want to smoke, St. Louis-style ribs, spareribs, baby-back ribs, beef rounds, boneless pork butts, etc. It might be worth a drive down there from Gresham - the prices are great and the staff is pretty knowledgable. And, yes, it's all fresh meat - cryovaced (sp?) and plentiful supply.

I was just over there this morning to pick-up ribs, butts and a beef round for the holiday weekend coming up. They had plenty to choose from, IMHO

And you're right about Costco - they do not carry the bone-in butts.

HTH

Jim

Dennis & Jim,
I'm a fellow Portlander (Gresham) I'm just venturing into the world of BBQ.

Dennis, since you're in gresham, you could always try White's Country Meats out on 257th, I live not too far from there and have been happy with everything I've gotten there. Just did a butt from there this weekend that turned out great.

Jim, thanks for the tip about the Clackamas Cash & Carry. I get down to Clackamas quite often and will check it out. What's their price on baby backs? Are they as good as Costco's?

Tyler - welcome and good to see another "Greshamer" on the board. I've threatened to go to White's for years now but just never made it. I've heard great things about some of their 'prepared' meats. Maybe I was afraid they'd charge me an arm and a leg!

Well, between here and Oregon City, there ought to be some pretty good smelling aromas coming from a few back yards! I'm still toying with trying the high temp method of cooking the butt this weekend. Not sure yet though.

Jim, thanks for the tip about the Clackamas Cash & Carry. I get down to Clackamas quite often and will check it out. What's their price on baby backs? Are they as good as Costco's?
Dennis

Costco's ribs are $3.99/lb. and generally are the "IBP" or "Armor" brand and come 3 racks to a package.

Cash & Carry most generally carries "IBP" brand and come with 2 racks per package for $3.93

Price difference is a wash basically. One item that Cash & Carry does carry that Costco does not are the St. Louis style spareribs for somewhere around $2.65 per lb.

I'd say that the quality of both Costco and Cash & Carry are almost exactly the same since they pretty much source from the same packers.

HTH

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.

Jim

Back