WSM SmokeR Jacket from BBQ Guru

Ray Quint

Has anyone used this insulation Jocket for The 18 1/2" WSM?
Do you run the temperature probes thru the top vent?
Any reviews?

I do not have one, but over the years, I have read that people that have the jacket like it. It is really meant for those who have a control unit (a fan that regulates air flow and thus the temp), but it will work without the control unit. People do stick the probes through the top vent, but as you might surmise, it will be a pain.

Why do you want a jacket? I would suggest that there are other alternatives that work as well or better (if you define better as easier) and most are cheaper. The WSM will run very steady if you can get it out of the wind - even in the coldest temps. One thing I've seen is using a welders blanket and some clamps. They just wrap the blanket around the unit and it works very well. Also easier to handle the probes because it's not a jacket. No sure how that would work in the rain but in a light snow, I think it would work fine.

If you're looking for something to get out rain and wind, many here have built a shelter. Depending on your skill set and source of materials, this could range from very cheap to more expensive than the jacket. The jacket does have the advantage of being water resistant.

I'm lucky enough to have a covered porch so rain is not an issue. If it's windy, I just tuck the WSM in the corner and block the wind with my Genesis. Even before the porch was built, I just used my WSM on the side of the house that best blocked the wind. The worse day I ever had was when it got windy and we had a downpour. The hard rain sucked the heat right out of the WSM. A light rain or snow never impacted a cook, but that day was a bad day to be outside. Personally, if I didn't have my porch, I'd build a little shelter. Look in the mods section of the forum and there are a lot of ideas. I've always liked the ones that were made to be easily broken down for easy storage.

I've had a smoking jacket from BBQ Guru for over 10 years. I had the original nomex one for my 18" then a silicon one for my 22.5" Sadly, they don't make one for the 14.5". While not the cheapest, it's the easiest and probably overall best performing wind break plus insulator you can get. And with the silicon one, I just use it as my cover since it's water proof. There are four aspects to consider here: 1. wind break 2. insulation 3. water proof-ness and 4. safety. Some of the home-grown solutions aren't fire safe. I'm not a welder so I don't know if the welding blankets are waterproof or not. Will they get heavy in the rain? And a standard wind break solves the biggest problem of wind. But the extra insulation that comes from the jacket is beneficial for loooong cooks. It will reduce your fuel consumption quite a bit. I use it even in the summer to save on charcoal.

It's certainly not required and you can roll your own solution, but in experience the smoker jacket is worth it in the long run. I will grant you the price is high, however.

Those are just my opinions as a satisfied customer. I have no stake in BBQ Guru otherwise :)

I agree with Ed. I have had my jacket for about 18 months and I love both the insulation qualities along with its water proof. It does significantly reduce charcoal consumption and stabilize temps. It does cost quite a bit, but if you can afford it, you won't be disappointed.

Back