WSM Portable "Smoke Shack" (Wind/Rain Screen)

I'm showing the picture to my wife right now and extolling the virtues of owning it
icon_smile.gif
She's rolling her eyes and mumbling something about an outhouse.....
icon_rolleyes.gif
I'll keep working on her...

Very nice job! We'll see whose laughing when it get's cold and windy and you are making the best BBQ for miles!
icon_biggrin.gif

Got the pdf, Greg. Thanks a bunch! I'm a draftsman by trade, and I must say the drawings look good from the quick first glance I gave them. Certainly able to be built from. I liked the purchase part drawings in the package, especially the one from McMaster-Carr. I use that site all the time at work, and to see it in an everyday application was kind of cool.

Greg - I updated my profile and my email address is updated. If you could send the pdf that would be great!
icon_razz.gif
I'm still working on my wife regarding the "smoke shack" but I was supposed to build her a potting shed for 2 years
icon_eek.gif
If I can figure out out to combine the two
icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris W.:
Got the pdf, Greg. Thanks a bunch! I'm a draftsman by trade, and I must say the drawings look good from the quick first glance I gave them. Certainly able to be built from. I liked the purchase part drawings in the package, especially the one from McMaster-Carr. I use that site all the time at work, and to see it in an everyday application was kind of cool. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cringed a little when I read you were a draftsman, but was glad to hear they looked good. I took a mechanical drafting class when I was in college, but used to draw everything by hand and never used a CAD program. I didn't want to dig up and dust off the old books, so I did everything from memory and winged it. Like I said ... It got the job done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Wr.:
Greg - I updated my profile and my email address is updated. If you could send the pdf that would be great!
icon_razz.gif
I'm still working on my wife regarding the "smoke shack" but I was supposed to build her a potting shed for 2 years
icon_eek.gif
If I can figure out out to combine the two
icon_confused.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,

I sent you an e-mail with the pdf plans. Tell your wife that you're going to buy the wood for a potting shed and come back with the wood for the smoke shack too!

Greg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Maciejewski:
I cringed a little when I read you were a draftsman, but was glad to hear they looked good. I took a mechanical drafting class when I was in college, but used to draw everything by hand and never used a CAD program. I didn't want to dig up and dust off the old books, so I did everything from memory and winged it. Like I said ... It got the job done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I took a more in-depth look at the pdf tonight and nothing appears to be missing. As you say, Greg, the provided drawings get the job done, and that's all that really matters. You put together a good drawing set.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris W.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Maciejewski:
I cringed a little when I read you were a draftsman, but was glad to hear they looked good. I took a mechanical drafting class when I was in college, but used to draw everything by hand and never used a CAD program. I didn't want to dig up and dust off the old books, so I did everything from memory and winged it. Like I said ... It got the job done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I took a more in-depth look at the pdf tonight and nothing appears to be missing. As you say, Greg, the provided drawings get the job done, and that's all that really matters. You put together a good drawing set. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Chris! I really appreciate you taking the time to do that.

Awesome job Greg!

I was thinking about getting the guru Jacket for my 22.5 to use during the winter, but something like this looks like a great project.

Would you mind emailing me the drawings? (I updated my profile).

Thanks!

I will be building a lean-to off my garage next year. The end will have a cubby for my WSM lined with styrofoam and tin for a wind break. I can not wait for this. When it is raining like yesterday, I have to smoke just inside the garage and my garage always smells like a smoke house! I love it but Mrs. Voss does not! lol...

Greg, I would appreciate it if you would send me the plans for the outho....err....smokehouse.
Just what I've been looking for.

Thanks Andy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich Petroske:
Beautiful.

If you don't mind my asking, how much would you estimate this to cost? If you'd rather not say, I understand. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't mind at all. I had a private e-mail conversation with another member so I'll just post the information I gave them.

As far as cost goes … That’s a great question. I’m giving it my best guess as I bought things as I needed them. I would say the wood was ~$100 or less as I bought the tongue and groove pine and the 1 x 3’s from a local discount wood store (Grossman’s Bargain Outlet). The 2 x 4’s, the wooden dowels, and the pressure treated 4 x 4’s I bought at Home Depot. The roll of aluminum flashing was ~$25 at Home Depot. The wood handle I bought from Touch of Finland for ~$15 with shipping. I also used two small pieces of MDF on the upper back panel (which I already had). The MDF was needed to mount two of the anchor latches, but you could use another 1 x 3 piece if needed. The decking screws were ~$25 at home depot. The stainless steel handle bolts were a couple dollars at a local hardware store. The door hinge I bought from McMaster Carr for $15 with shipping. The waterproofing was ~$15 at Home Depot. The biggest single cost will probably be for the anchor latches and plates ( I used 12 of them). I got them for free (see the thread at the Virtual Weber bullet). I have no idea how much these would cost. So I guess I spent ~$200 to build it. If I had to buy the hinges it would have cost me a bit more.

I've gotten a lot of member requests for the plans and I've been happy to send each and every person who asks a copy with an open invitation to ask questions. And I must say there has been some great questions and feedback.

A while back I sent the pdf plans to Chris Allingham as he said he would like to post the plans on the web site.

Chris,

If you read this post, do you have any ETA when you might post the plans on the web site? I sent you an e-mail a few weeks ago with a copy of the pdf plans. I can send them again if needed.

Greg

Greg, I love your shelter and am trying to build one myself. can you tell me the height of your walls. I want to be able to hang my lid similar to the way you have yours set up. or could you send me your plans? I was thinking of using t-111 siding for the outside walls. what do you think?

I sent you the plans via e-mail.

I don't see any reason you couldn't use T1-11 siding. The tongue and groove pine I used was 3/4" thick, so if you use a different thickness you'll have to adjust your dimensions slightly.

This is awesome Greg!! I have been wanting to put something like this together, and would love a copy of your plans also.

Dusty

Greg, what an awesome vision. I pride myself on being ingenious, but you are the king. Looks to me like your ability to transfer your thoughts into reality is amazing.

If it isn't too much to ask, could I please get a copy of your drawings? I am desparate to do something to protect my Bullet, and also allow me to cook in incliment weather. Tired of having to move my entire setup off the deck and under the carport.

Once again, great job.

Back