WSM or Performer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy S

TVWBB Member
Pretty new to charcoal world--My wife got me a OTS for Father's Day that I converted to OTG. Have had lots of fun with my kettle. I've smoked ribs, pork butts, chicken and grilled lots of steaks and sausage too. My experience has been with a 4 burner gasser that has tables on each side. I love the Kettle but really wish I had something to do with the lid and also a work table. I've improvised with a TV tray as table and usually just deal with the lid issue.

Birthday/Christmas coming up and I going to ask for Lowe's gift cards for presents. I really want a Performer but I am enjoying smoking the meats as well. I hear great things about WSM.

So, I guess I just want thoughts on which direction? I'm very new to smoking/indirect grilling so I don't know if it's too soon for WSM anyway. I can continue to smoke with Performer using indirect method--but I wonder if having a WSM will create a better taste/experience?

I really, really like the Performer and am leaning in that direction. The utility of everything seems great--maybe almost as convenient as a gasser?

Has anyone been in similar situation before--can't decide between wsm or Performer?

thanks!

Get the performer, I have an older S/S red head I completly rebuilt and just love it. The performer is a MUST in the cooking arsenal, plus you can smoke on it as well, so..its a win-win. It is just a matter of time before youll eventually have a WSM to keep the performer company. One can not have to many toys.

I would get a WSM for slow cooking since it is so easy to cook on and fits so much food. I like the 18.5 for the amount of food I cook. I would just use the kettle for grilling and just find a bigger side table for it and the WSM. I find the garage sale fold out tables work pretty well. You could also make a mini WSM for smoking and get the Performer.

Agree with Shaun...get the WSM.

You already have a 22.5 kettle (same as the Performer, just without the table). You said you already use a TV tray and you deal with the lid.

Get the WSM and then keep an eye out on CL for a used Performer.

+1 for the WSM!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Definitely the WSM. If you get the Performer, you will have 2 kettles; a plain one and a fancy one. If you get the WSM, you will have a kettle and a dedicated smoker.

Forgot to mention--if I get the Performer I'm taking the OTG to the inlaws on the GA coast. We spend a lot of time there but they only have a gasser. I would leave it there and fire it up on visits.

If you didn't have the kettle I would say definately go with the performer. I've had mine for about 6 months now and absolutely love it!

But...you already have a kettle so I would say if you're going to get something new get the WSM. Keep an eye out on craigslist for a used performer or another kettle to take to the inlaws. From my experience I've seen quite a few more kettles and performers posted on craigslist than WSM's.

Also, the underside of the kettle lid has a hook on it that will catch on the side of the kettle if you don't have a table nearby. Not as convenient as the lid holder on the performer but it does the trick.

Good luck with your decision!

I forgot to mention, you can add a slide aside lid holder to your OTG. Keep an eye out on Craigs for a Performer and take the OTG to the coast for when you visit. The WSM will provide extra room and easy smoking.

I like smoking meat so much in my performer that I ended up selling my WSM on craigslist and have never regretted it. The main advantage to the WSM for me was capacity and I was able to modify my rotisserie so that I can do 4 butts at once on my Performer if I need to. It works great when I need it but I've also found that 90 percent of my cooks can fit on the performer set up indirect.

The other advantage you'll hear about the WSM is temp control, but I get GREAT temp control with my kettle when I set it up correctly. Now that I've got a Guru it's a mute point entirely.

The other reasons I preferred the Performer is the cooking grate is always at waist level, I don't have bend over to tend the fire, it's WAY easier to clean up after, and I never really liked using the bottom grate or having to take the thing apart in sections. At the time, the performer had a thermometer and the WSM didn't (but they have them now). It's also way easier to add and stoke the coal on a hot kettle than a hot WSM.

I'm NOT dogging the WSM. I liked it a lot, but these are the reason I found myself using the Performer more often and why I would recommend it to you as well...particularly since that seems to be what you really want.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Billy S:
Forgot to mention--if I get the Performer I'm taking the OTG to the inlaws on the GA coast. We spend a lot of time there but they only have a gasser. I would leave it there and fire it up on visits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have the inlaws buy a Performer for the GA coast, you keep the converted OTG, and get a WSM...problem solved!!!

Everyone has given you some valid points so far. I have a Performer, OTG and 18-1/2” WSM. I started with the Performer and can’t imagine using anything else as my main grill. You get spoiled by so many little things. The tool holder, lid holder, charcoal storage, work area, gas lighting, built in thermometer, hell, even the insulated grip for the top vent. I would ask yourself how much you plan on grilling with charcoal and how much you plan on smoking. I’m probably 75% grilling so for me the Performer is my first choice. Your mileage may vary so let us know how you make out and good luck!

Rolf

ive had a wsm for about 6 years now. Just got a performer this year and have not touched the wsm all summer long. The performer is so versatile. Unless your doing large amounts of meats, i would just get the performer.

I'm with Noe in throwing the idea of a 26 in the mix. I've had mine for a few weeks now and love it. It has your lid holder and temp gauge. For a work surface I build a 2x3 treated lumber table that sits right next to it, I put hooks on the front to hold tools and the chimney. I don't really miss the propane start as I use starters with the chimney. You may appreciate the extra real estate the 26" grid gives you for grilling and smoking.

I agree about the 26.75. I got one from Christmas last year and love it.

imagedplr.jpg

By hogsfan at 2011-09-18

That's a pan of ABT's, a 6 pound prime rib and and fatty with room to spare.

My only complaint with my 27 is the legs. They are plenty strong but the sockets tend to want to bend so that the front always seems to be a little higher than the back every time I move it around the yard. Kinda annoying but not a big deal. Other than that, it's awesome in just about every way. If they'd just build it into a table (wouldn't even need the Performer starter) , then it would be perfect. I would buy it in a second.

I have different grills for different purposes, but if I could only have one grill it will be a standard kettle with a Cajun Bandit kit or a 22 WSM. This allows the most cooking versatility.

Add a stand for the CB/WSM when you want to grill at waist high and get a wheeled stainless table and your set.

The 2nd set up would be the Smokey Joe with the Tamale pot smoker mod.

I rarely use my 18 WSM or my Ranch Kettle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back