WSM or Electric?

Joe,
If you are new to cooking BBQ then an electric may be the way to go so you can learn the basics. I recently switched from electric to a 18.5 WSM and I will never go back. I feel like i have better overall control of my temperature and my smoke with my WSM than I ever did with my electric. One of the other reasons i switched is i didn't want to spent $800.00 on a product that will may only last about 5-7 years and i would be forced to use pellets, pucks, and/or small chips which can be messy and a pain to use. At the end of the day, everyone has their reasons why they cook, you will need to figure out what that reason is....do you love BBQ and the challenge of the cook, a WSM is for you......are you lazy/cheap and just like BBQ, electric is the way to go.......maybe you are both, then you need at least one of each. At the end of the day you really cant go wrong, good luck.

I've used my WSM when the power was off for two days following a storm. I've also taken mine with me on a camping trip and to the beach.
Emergency preparedness probably isn't one of your criteria for a smoker purchase though. LOL. But I'll admit, I was glad to have it.

Back