WSM Hanging Ribs

John Solak

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Cooked some ribs with a couple of new WSM accessories I have had for a while and never even opened the boxes until today, I used my WSM and added a ProQ stacker and then New Weber hanging system and hung some ribs I picked up from Sams Club. Seasoned them with some Bad Byrons Butt rub and cooked them over mesquite lump, no wood added. WSM ran at 225 pretty much the whole cook too. This is the first time I have cooked on the WSM with the water pan and clay saucer I used removed.

3 racks of ribs hanging along with a few scraps I trimmed off

Ribs after 5 hours of cooking

Sauced on the ribs for dinner and back in the WSM for another 30 minutes. The other 2 racks were vac sealed and went into the freezer.

Ribs resting

Then sliced

My plate. The trimmings that were smoked were chopped up and added to some Ranch Style beans and Collar greens. Also made some cole slaw too. These weren't the best ribs I have ever BBQed but they certainly were some of the prettiest.

It came with 5 hooks Jim, I think the paperwork said 8 come with the 22

The lid fits not problem Nick

Beautiful cook John, and excellent sides.
Tell me do you rotate the ribs during the cook to keep the end closer to the heat from cooking more, or is that not needed? We used to hang sausage in a converted smoke room but it was not directly over the heat.

I didn't rotate the ribs at all Bill.

Without the the stacker I believe you have to cut the ribs in half with the 18. There are posts on here where guys have cut them in half and smoked them.

John, nice set up. You can go direct or indirect. It is the best of both worlds. And all done on the Weber. Kool

Is there a difference between hanging them vs having them on a rib rack vs having them directly on the grates? Flavorwise or cookingwise?

Back