WSM Hanging Ribs - 1st Go-Around

Where do you get the SS hooks? and what length (of hook) did you use? Thanks

Last edited:
I have a PBC and love that thing. I have not used any of my weber smokers in over a year since I've had it. I like the fact that I don't have to monitor temps and I have not cooked any bad food on it yet.

I guess one of the reasons is that the last few cooks I did with the 18.5 and 14.5 WSM, I had major problems with temp control. Mostly that the cookers would not come up to temp no matter what I did. I don't know what the issue was but I didn't have the problem before. I'm almost to the point of selling my webers and just using the PBC.

I do have the Weber hanging rack for the 18.5 WSM but I have not used it yet.

Your Ribs look very good.

Wayne

Where do you get the SS hooks? and what length (of hook) did you use? Thanks
I have a similar rig for my wsm and I made my own meat hooks. I made mine from an old stainless steel dish strainer that I found. Took an angle grinder and cut some nice long pieces and just bent each end into a hook. Ground a bit of a point on one end to pierce the meat easier. Started with 8" pieces...after bending the ends they ended up about 4" long. Work really well .

I'm with you Wayne....I sold about everything except a couple. I do use my old Genesis for a fast cook like burgers or dogs.

I'm with you Wayne....I sold about everything except a couple. I do use my old Genesis for a fast cook like burgers or dogs.

I still use both of my Weber gas grills but have not used any of my Weber charcoal grills in a long time. I have been using a 22" old smokey grill quite a bit and it seems to retain heat a lot longer than my Weber kettle grills or performers.

Wayne

In addition to the WSM Meat Hanging rack, I made a hanging grate from an old 22" cook grate by cutting out some rods. It works pretty good.

IMG_1909.jpg

I have the WSM 18.5 and recently purchased the Weber hanging rack and some 5" meat hooks. I'll be attempting to hang two racks of baby back ribs for the first time using Jeff's original rub recipe.

I've been doing the 3-2-1 method at 225 degrees with the water pan/foiled. Any tips on temp and time for hanging? I've read 4-5 hours at 250-270 degrees? Water pan or no water pan?

Looks good! Measure three times & only make it once.
I would suggest making the 2 central cross pieces movable.
It makes adding & removing meat much easier.
Something like this:

PICT0333_zps5f256664.jpg~320x480

nice. a friend of mine made this for my 18.5....note the open section...this facilitates meat removal. both fine ideas , i think.

Back