WSM basting/mopping with stacked WSM, extra grates, etc.

Neil Grant

TVWBB Fan
With the standard WSM setup I use a squirt bottle with white vinegar to keep the meats moist...and even then it's not easy to reach the lower meat with a crowded upper grate.

How to deal with basting meats on lower grate, incl maybe an added grate or even a stacked middle section of the WSM ?

OK...it's not like I didn't think of that, but thought it is important to minimize heat loss with a quicker process.

Skip the basting, you probably won't notice too big of a difference. If you're looking for vinegar flavor you can add it with a marinade or a finishing or BBQ sauce after the meat is cooked.

Every time you open the lid to baste you release a ton of heat.

I use the vinegar not for flavor but to break down fat while also keeping moist. Like using apple juice when foiling.

Neil, from my own experience, any effect vinegar will have sprayed on the outside of meat is neglible.

I'll go ahead and open a can of worms regarding basting and keeping the surface of the meat moist, even though I'm sure that most folks here will probably disagree. I've discovered that using water in the pan is a better way to help impede drying out of the meat surface, as long as you don't cook so slow that the water hardly steams in the cooker. I've cooked with a wet pan and a dry pan, at different temps from sub 225 to 275 max. with water when I could get it that hot, and while I didn't notice much difference cooking in the low range, I have noticed a significant difference between several cooks when cooking 250-275*.

I agree with Dave, except I don't even use water in the pan. Most of the fat is rendered out and I doubt that the amount of vinegar in a very fine layer really breaks down the fat. Regarding moisture, I've boil chicken under water and if it's overcooked its dry even though it completely imersed underwater. In a 250 degree enviroment, any juices probably evaporate quickly.

Sorry, I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but it has peaked my curiosity
By Dave Russell
I've discovered that using water in the pan is a better way to help impede drying out of the meat surface, as long as you don't cook so slow that the water hardly steams in the cooker.
Dave,
I spent enough time lurking on TVWB before I actually aquired a WSM, that I was convinced to go waterless, with a Terra Cotta clay saucer foiled in the water pan. My WSM has never seen water!...
While I have had excellent success using the dry pan method, I might just experiment this weekend, and try water in the pan for my Smoke Day Brisket, and skip the basting ? (I will never know the difference if I dont try it) If it uses too much charcoal with the water, I will probably go back to the dry method, unless the brisket is so much better than I have achieved in the past.
I have done two or three flats, midnight cooks, and have been very pleased with the results. This will be my first timer with a packer ! Is there any other sage advice I should know for doing a packer ? I plan to do a midnight cook starting friday night, with Wolfe Rub Bold. Other than that I am open to suggestions...

Corey

AS far as I can tell, the water in the pan is the heat sink, has nothing to do with "moist meat". I've had roasts come out of a crock pot, swimming in liquid, completely dried out.
The moisture, or dryness in the meat has to do with the internal fibers tightening so much that they expell the internal juices, as a result of overcooking.
The full water pan would be a good idea for overnight cooking, as long as it doesn't run dry during.
Once the meat goes on the lid stays on.

Well im with Dave/mike BUT... I normaly dont use water...EXEPT for butts when i wanna go low and slow till tender. Started out cooking all low´n´slow. But after a while i did go dry and started bump up my temps. Works like a charm. I still cook my butts @ the 225-250 range with water in the pan. No basting no turning. I might inject but hey thats just me.

Corey : I cant get ahold of brisket so cant help you sorry.

Originally posted by Corey S:
Dave,
I spent enough time lurking on TVWB before I actually aquired a WSM, that I was convinced to go waterless, with a Terra Cotta clay saucer foiled in the water pan. My WSM has never seen water!...
While I have had excellent success using the dry pan method, I might just experiment this weekend, and try water in the pan for my Smoke Day Brisket, and skip the basting ? (I will never know the difference if I dont try it) If it uses too much charcoal with the water, I will probably go back to the dry method, unless the brisket is so much better than I have achieved in the past.
I have done two or three flats, midnight cooks, and have been very pleased with the results. This will be my first timer with a packer ! Is there any other sage advice I should know for doing a packer ? I plan to do a midnight cook starting friday night, with Wolfe Rub Bold. Other than that I am open to suggestions...

Corey

Corey, regarding charcoal useage when using water in the pan:

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0022865/m/8361093806

Originally posted by Ken Keating:
I agree with Dave, except I don't even use water in the pan....Regarding moisture, I've boil chicken under water and if it's overcooked its dry even though it completely imersed underwater. In a 250 degree enviroment, any juices probably evaporate quickly.

Ken, I wouldn't 'fess up to boiling meat 'round here
icon_razz.gif
, but slowing evaporation of moisture off the meat's surface is what happens when you add humidity to an environment....like the difference of what 90* feels like in Mississippi vs. what it feels like in Arizona.

Originally posted by Mike Hartwell:
AS far as I can tell, the water in the pan is the heat sink, has nothing to do with "moist meat". I've had roasts come out of a crock pot, swimming in liquid, completely dried out.
The moisture, or dryness in the meat has to do with the internal fibers tightening so much that they expell the internal juices, as a result of overcooking.
The full water pan would be a good idea for overnight cooking, as long as it doesn't run dry during.
Once the meat goes on the lid stays on.

Mike, regarding over-cooking and bbq pit moisture, even the best pit can't correct leaving the lid on too long.
icon_wink.gif

FYI, no need to worry about the water pan running dry as long as you have a '09 or newer wsm, or if you've purchased the ECB (Brinkman) charcoal pan to use instead of the (18.5"wsm) OE pan. The Brinkman pan is a better pan than the '09+ pan since there's a good bit more clearance above the fire. This makes more room for charcoal and/or wood, or for stirring stubborn Kingsford briqs....for whichever reason, it's nice to have a little more space there.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back