WSM as Grill Question

G Savrnoch

TVWBB Super Fan
Tonight I did some mods to my WSM and had the middle out. I put the top on the bottom and it reminded me that some guys have used their WSMs as a grill. To me it looks like a tall Jumbo Joe. Anyways it seems possible with some minor tweaks but the lid did not fit snug on the base. Has anybody thought of a fix for this to make the lid fit better?

Thanks as always.

I've read this, just wondering if any members have worked on it more.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/grilling.html

Last edited:
I'm in the camp if you want a grill get a grill, if you want a smoker get a smoker. You can smoke in a grill and it will work but not as good as a WSM. Goes the other way too, you can grill in a WSM but it won't work as good as a Kettle. Unless you just short on space then you gotta do what you gotta do. good luck!!

I'm in the camp if you want a grill get a grill, if you want a smoker get a smoker. You can smoke in a grill and it will work but not as good as a WSM. Goes the other way too, you can grill in a WSM but it won't work as good as a Kettle. Unless you just short on space then you gotta do what you gotta do. good luck!!

I'm good at home as shown in my signature. It's for camping where storage space in the RV get's limited. I always have our Q 120 for basic grilling, but for the longer trips if I take the WSM for a smoke or 2, was wondering if I could use it for the odd charcoal grill session....as opposed to bringing a portable char grill.

Absolutely! I love my Weber egg. :D
Just plop the cooking grate on top of the charcoal ring and it's basically just like a Jumbo Joe
I just set my lid on the base and it's been fine. But, there's a few links in this short thread addressing that issue
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?39157-Lid-to-Kettle-adapters

1044124_10201002559162427_931081567_n.jpg

G , I made some aluminum tabs that attach to the top screws on the legs ...they stick up about an inch and keep the lid from slopping around . I got the idea from the TVWB website. So lots of people have done the same. I bought the aluminum stock at Home Depot (Canadian tire to you):D

Back