WSM 22.5 + cajun bandit door + Compression latch (SC-62315)

I installed the compression latch on my 22" Cajun Bandit door yesterday and am very pleased with the inital results. Hopefully the weather will clear here in Central MA and I'll be able to smoke something soon and see just how well the door/latch work. As others have stated the latch does not come with any instructions, but the PDF file that Jeff provided on the second page of this thread illustrates how the latch is assembled. It's very easy to install and the only item you will need other than the latch itself is a 5/8 drill bit or unibit to open the hole on the door up from the existing 1/2" hole to 5/8". The whole process took only a few minutes. The door latches down nicely. This is a nice mod.

Off to buy another one for the 18" WSM/cajun door!

I wish Weber would put a decent door/latch on the WSMs to begin with. I don't understand Weber's resistance to improve thier product (ok, it's all about $$).

If I had to do over again and Weber offered it, I'd pay extra for the SS door, gaskets, and compression handle pre-installed. I also think they should add the fire basket mod too... Don't get me wrong, it is great out of the box. But it could be better...

But.....you would miss all of the fun THoey. I think it's funny when people ask me what I paid for my smoker, there is the box price and then there is the real price.

Finally got the chance to use my 22" WSM with the compression latch. I was very pleased with it. it closed up nicely and opening and closing the door was a plessure. the OEM handle on the thicker CD door isn't that good. This made a world of difference. I did notice I should have tighten the nut just a bit tighter as it did loosen up and discovered threre's a small pin and notch on the shaft that if they are not alligned the latch will not work correctly and leave you wondering "***?!?!?". Ensure the nut is tight and this shouldn't be an issue.

If anyone has been waiting for the Compression latch to be back in stock at Amazon, it was just restocked.

-Matt

Back