WSM 18.5 - Ribs and Pork Butt Advice

Trail B.

TVWBB Member
I want to smoke two racks of spare ribs and a 10 pound pork butt on my 18.5 WSM this weekend. I need to have dinner ready by around 7ish. I am new to using the WSM and have never cooked more than one piece of meat at a time on it. Any suggestions as to timing and how to get all that meat on the WSM and which rack to put it on?

Put the butt on the bottom rack and plan on 10-12 hours at 250 degrees / put the ribs on the top rack, plan on about 4 hours, give or take a few minutes either way. You'll want to rest the butt at least an hour

There is a braised method where you could cook the butt which would reduce your cook down to about 7 hours, if you're interested in that, I'll add a link how I did it (two 10LBS butts in 7 hours)

@ChuckO...So after the ribs are done do you move the PB to the top rack? Also I've seen where a lot of folks are talking about foiling their ribs, when do you do that and how long? I would like to know your trick for the PB if you want to share the link.

I'm a noob. But, what I'd probably do is start the cook about 18 - 20 hours before you plan to eat. It depends on if your guests won't mind waiting. If the meat is done in 12 hours or so, you can always let it rest in a cooler. It will stay warm for hours. I'd put the butt on the bottom rack like was mentioned. About 5 hours before the butt is done, I'd put the ribs on the top rack. Guessing 5 hrs before the butt is done would be the hard part. If you guess right, both should be ready about the same time. The last butt I cooked went about 17 hours. The last ribs I did cooked about 5 hrs at 250.

Last time I cooked the butt, I had it ready a day or two ahead of time. It's harder for me to predict how long it will take to cook. The ribs are pretty predictable. So, if you are like me and enjoy the atmosphere that cooking creates, you could do you butt a day or two ahead of time and then cook the ribs on the day your guests will be served. It will be less stressful, for sure.

@ChuckO...So after the ribs are done do you move the PB to the top rack? Also I've seen where a lot of folks are talking about foiling their ribs, when do you do that and how long? I would like to know your trick for the PB if you want to share the link.

Hi Lee:
I would put the ribs on when there's about 4 hours left in the cook, which in the case of the link below, is a timed cook
I'm not into foiling ribs, I just like to cook my ribs on the smoker, top rack, meat up
The thread below, is the braised cook for the butt. I'm going to do it again this weekend, however I'm adding an hour to the first half (I want more bark) which in theory, means I'll knock an hour off in the second cook

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?52135-A-Mike-Coffman-inspired-cook

When you mention cook at 250 is that the temp for the top or bottom rack since the temps are different?

I'd say the top. Bottom line, if you choose to do the braise cook, put the ribs on at the change up ( from smoker to braise) the braising is done foil sealed ( click the link at the start of my thread)

Thanks ChuckO, I'm giving the PB and ribs a try Friday for the 4th. I'm stoked to see how this turns out..may not be anymore overnighters if this works out...unless I'm planning on lunch :)

Dinner around 7ish? Okay. Put your PB on about 6-7am. My experience is that Pork Butts in the 8-10 pound range cooked at 250-275* are at 195-200 internal temp in about 8 hours. (I'm in Boulder, CO. elevation 5430 ft.) Butts can be a bit unpredictable so start early. Just in case you get one of the Butts that "stalls" for hours. Once at temp you can wrap in foil and store in a cooler or Cambro. It'll stay hot in there for hours.

Ribs are ribs and you can count on them being ready in 4-6 hours for Spares. I usually cook at 250*. I have a Temp controller. If you don't you WSM will probably hang around the 225-275 range depending on air temp, wind, in the shade, in direct sunlight. If also found that if your cooking in direct sunlight the lid can heat up and the Dome Thermometer can give you a very high reading that may not represent the temps at the grill grate levels.

I'd start with the Butts on the top rack. Easier to spritz during the cooking session and easier to stick with a temp probe, if that's what you do. Get the Ribs ready to go on by noon. Lift the upper cooking grate with the pork butts on and place on a story metal table. Put you ribs on the lower rack and return the upper grate and the PB's to the cooker. Close the lid and get ready for killer BBQ.

One more thing. Just to avoid "over-smoking" your PB, your could foil if at 150-160 when you put your ribs on. This will also you to add the wood you need to smoke your ribs without worrying about over-smoking the pork butt. Let us know how things turn out and take and post photos. Of the food, you and your guests? Optional. :)

Have Fun - Stay Safe!

Back