Would this thermometer work?

Matt Grabill

TVWBB Fan
I have an extra dome thermometer from a 22" Performer Platinum and was wondering if this would work in the center section of my 18.5 WSM to monitor grate temperature? The stem is about 1.5".I have the step bit to drill a hole from when I added the grommet recently.

IMAG0100_zpsxonjd391.jpg

If not I plan on getting a stick thermometer to insert through the grommet.Any suggestions as to what length the stem should be and what one to buy? I have the Weber dual probe wireless,which works great,but I learned after the fact that it was 2 meat probes only so this is why I'm interested in this modification.

Thanks,Matt

It would "work" but if it's off a grill it will be graduated for grill temps.
In other words it won't have the detail that I would want for smoker range.

Compare it to the face on a 63028 therm to see what I mean.

I would be concerned that the stem is too short ( I hate when that happens) and would be influenced by the heat coming up around the side of the water pan and not really giving you a true reading of the grate temp.

So would I be better using a longer stick thermometer through the grommet? What do you suggest?
Nah, you're OK with stem length.
Dome temp is just that, dome temp. Use a 2-1/2" stem or less.
Grate temp of course is more important but you'll need a different set up for grate temp, such as a Maverick ET-732 or ET 733.

Edit:
Sorry, I would put that setup in the dome if I liked the graduation on the therm.
Use a Maverick for grate temp.

Last edited:

Back