Would this be dumb?

In my opinion one of the most important design features of the WSM over other cookers is access to the fire and water pan thru the door. I have a buddy with a Primo, another with a Vision, a son with a UDS, and a brother with a BGE and each one of them describe the PITA it is to get to the water or fire to add water/wood in mid cook. True enough you can do a hot squat but never-the-less I caution you sealing the door because its a permanent fix to a temporary problem. You may not need access now but you may later. The door will seal well enough on its own but if you're not happy with it maybe a gasket should be installed. It won't be airtight but it will be tight enough.

Last edited:
Derrick,I did a mod to my door that adds a couple long (2") SS bolts to the door. That way you can prop the door open to get higher temps. So,I'm not giving up my door.
Plus,I've been known to add more K in through the door on Smoke Day to make sure it's gonna make it through the long cooking process!

Not sure if I would ever be able to permanently seal my door... I like the fact I can take a peek and see what the water level is and how much fuel I have left or to be able to add another hunk of wood.

Then again, I don't use a guru. Never have, and probably never will. I find they take the "fun" and "challenge" out of BBQ.

In my opinion one of the most important design features of the WSM over other cookers is access to the fire and water pan thru the door. I have a buddy with a Primo, another with a Vision, and a brother with a BGE and each one of them describe the PITA it is to get to the water or fire to add water/wood in mid cook. True enough you can do a hot squat but never-the-less I caution you sealing the door because its a permanent fix to a temporary problem. You may not need access now but you may later. The door will seal well enough on its own but if you're not happy with it maybe a gasket should be installed. It won't be airtight but it will be tight enough.

I'm with Dwain 100%. If you want your smoker air tight use the Nomex. It seals up really well. I've done to two WSMs and I have under the lid of my 26" kettle. There is no need to permanently seal up your smoker.

Not to gang up , but I have to agree that sealing the door is not necessary. I feel like the amount of "leakage" of air is kind of a phantom problem. I think the vents give you all the air control you need. Just my 2 cents.

Frank and everyone else dont feel like you are ganging up on me. I asked a question and wanted honest answers. With all the input I will leave as is and except a little smoke around the doors.

Curtis you are right, the Guru does take the challenge out of it but never the fun for me. When you spend 700-1000 a weekend in comps I dont want the extra challenge of temp control but we always have fun especially to hear our name and get a some $$.

Not sure if I would ever be able to permanently seal my door... I like the fact I can take a peek and see what the water level is and how much fuel I have left or to be able to add another hunk of wood.

Then again, I don't use a guru. Never have, and probably never will. I find they take the "fun" and "challenge" out of BBQ.
+1 brother

Back