Worst Smoking Conditions You've Weathered ???

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
And I started with a pun.

My worst was simple wind. Went to bed at 1am with a butt at the cottage at 245 lid, starry sky, no wind.
Woke at 6am to a beautiful sunrise and gale winds blowing sand everywhere. Lid temp was 170 and dropping. Had no idea what to do as my deck was fully exposed. Closed the 2 wind side vents, lit a full chimney in the garage (door open) and ran it out and dumped it after removing the body (lots of fuel left in the ring, started minion).
Temp did not rise.
Furniture was blowing around and the WSM was chugging to stay at 170.
Called it a day, foiled the butt and finished it in the oven. No bark, not a bad smoke flavour and ended up with a traditional pulling.
My issue was that I did not finish on the smoker. Seems minor but, for those that have been there, it's always an emotional failure if you can't finish on the smoker.

James

During a hurricane, with sideways rain and things flying through the air. All night long baby sitting the offset and a 50# pig.

The clear winner for me is the competition last year at Perry Florida. Overnight temps down to mid 30s, winding howling out of the north, raining like a BIG dog the whole weekend. To top it off I had some sort of stomach thing going on that had me keeping a bucket nearby. I literally had a small river running through my cook area.

It was supposed to be a 'Blues and Q's' festival with a huge list of blues bands. Not one band took the stage the entire weekend.

It was so bad that I'm seriously considering not going there this year just because of the memory.

Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Solak:
I live in SoCal, we don't get weather. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
John,
May a sea gull fly over, and take aim while you have the lid open
icon_biggrin.gif

Who needs weather when you have wildfires, mudslides, earthquakes and celebutards?

But seriously, my experience now pales in comparison.

James

Heavy rains and winds after the hurricanes of a few years back. Had to cook all the thawed meats from the freezer (no electricity for a couple weeks). No cover for the WSM (and haven't had cover since) Major PITA.

My first smoke ever was this past February. I did chicken and ribs. I had my smoker in front of my garage and the entire smoke I was shoveling/picking ice off my driveway. We probably had an inch of ice on top of several inches of snow with wind chills in the single digits. Food came out great, though.

Returned one evening from Ed. C's after consuming large amounts of adult beverages and I had a brisket to put on. I don't remember getting her on the smoker (entire process). Woke-up the next morning VERY hungover and my Stoker had been taking very good care of my cook all night. Totally amazed I pulled it off in that "condition." Wait, were you asking about the weather conditions . . .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
I don't remember getting her on the smoker (entire process).. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha Epic.

Well we always celebrate cristmas at my parents-in-law and i said i could do the "julskinka" Christmas ham,low and slow and the weather helped me alot 8" snow in the morning when i woke up -10c (14f)

Used a bit more coals then i was used to.

bless

//Me

Back