Wood tips

Bill E.

TVWBB Fan
A co-worker just lost an apple tree to a storm and gave me about a bunch of medium to small logs. (Probably enough to get me through the next 2-3 seasons unless my obsession continues to grow exponentially)

I have seen some information before on different types of woods.

One of my questions is how long should would be seasoned before it should be used in smoker? Also, should I cut/chop into chunks before or after I season the wood?

I have heard that some woods have bark that do not burn or smoke well producing a nasty taste on meat.

Which woods should I worry about the bark for a smoke? I bought some cheap wood bags (oak and hickory) from walmart or target that seem to have lots of bark.

Maybe there is a website with this info already.

Bill, Just scored a truck load and a half of apple also. Most woods split easier when still green/wet, especially oak. The smaller you break it down, the faster you can use it. I've been splitting mine into the size chunks I use and brick stacking them alongside the coal stove that's burning in my basement. Takes about bout 5 days for them to dry and they are good to go.
Bark, I don't worry about it. I've never had any problems with leaving the bark on the smoke wood over the years.

If you are using apple, you can almost use it green. I have heard a rationale that green apple works well. I would split it immdeiately. If it does not need splitting, then you could cut it into chunks and season it for 1-3 years. You may want to try burning some at 3 months, 6 months , etc to see what kind of smoke you are getting. If it burns well, and you don't see alot of liquid oozing out of the ends, it is OK. As far as bark goes, Bryan is correct. In fact, I have heard one well known sage (BW) claim that this is where all the flavor is! DH

Thanks, Bryan and Dave.
Many of the pieces dont even require splitting.

I will start to get some chunks cut. My dad is a retired tree man. THis will give him a reason to get thatchain saw running again.

Dave I'll try a few "green" apple chunks in the spring and see how it goes.

Brian, unfortunately, I don't have a stove to assist with the drying out process. I think I saw the truckload pics on another forum thread here. You can go into business now

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Hutson:
If you are using apple, you can almost use it green. I have heard a rationale that green apple works well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes you can use it green. I have posted many times here that I love to use green apple wood for smoke wood. You just have too be careful when using it that you have hot coals UNDER the green wood and not to use too much so it causes the green wood to smolder. With some caution, yes you can use green apple wood for smoking.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill E.:
THis will give him a reason to get thatchain saw running again.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure where I read it, but a caution that when using a chain saw you will spray petroleum based oil on the wood which will in turn be burned in your smoker and potentially on your food. Whatever I read suggested using vegetable oil for the chain lube. I can't imagine cleaning my chainsaw and then replacing the oil with veg oil. I've just used my handsaw and also my chopsaw to cut the smaller chunks. Watch out for the kickback if you hit a knot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Aarseth:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill E.:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure where I read it, but a caution that when using a chain saw you will spray petroleum based oil on the wood which will in turn be burned in your smoker and potentially on your food. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The amount of oil that goes onto the bar for the cahin is so minimal. Not even worth a worry IMO and I don't.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Aarseth:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure where I read it, but a caution that when using a chain saw you will spray petroleum based oil on the wood which will in turn be burned in your smoker and potentially on your food. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The amount of oil that goes onto the bar for the cahin is so minimal. Not even worth a worry IMO and I don't.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, as I was writing that post, it also dawned on me that I usually let my smokewood form a good char or be completely on fire before I put the meat on. Any volatiles probably would burn off completely before the meat would be exposed. Despite the logic, I'll still avoid the risk - even though its probably not a risk at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, as I was writing that post, it also dawned on me that I usually let my smokewood form a good char or be completely on fire before I put the meat on. Any volatiles probably would burn off completely before the meat would be exposed. Despite the logic, I'll still avoid the risk - even though its probably not a risk at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well if your just talking about branches or small stuff, then a hand saw is within reason. When you're talking about an apple tree, over a 100 years old, and it takes 2 weekends/days/trips to cut up, totaling 1.5 - 3/4 ton truck loads. I'll stick with the Poulan and some fossil fuel deposits on the wood. Most of the oil is deposited onto the wood chips that fall to the ground... Can't be any worse than using K to cook your food over. As always JMO.
icon_wink.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, as I was writing that post, it also dawned on me that I usually let my smokewood form a good char or be completely on fire before I put the meat on. Any volatiles probably would burn off completely before the meat would be exposed. Despite the logic, I'll still avoid the risk - even though its probably not a risk at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well if your just talking about branches or small stuff, then a hand saw is within reason. When you're talking about an apple tree, over a 100 years old, and it takes 2 weekends/days/trips to cut up, totaling 1.5 - 3/4 ton truck loads. I'll stick with the Poulan and some fossil fuel deposits on the wood. Most of the oil is deposited onto the wood chips that fall to the ground... Can't be any worse than using K to cook your food over. As always JMO.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, who am I kidding!
icon_redface.gif
No way I'm using a handsaw on a whole tree. Its all about the right tool (insert Tim the Toolman Taylor grunts).
icon_biggrin.gif
I've just dealt with 2 inch tops limbs that have already been cut. The whole reason I started down the road of using a chain saw was to take down a crab apple tree that had gotten partially uprooted. Wife vetoed that and instead I got to prop the tree up and stabilize with posts and rope. I see smoke wood. She sees pretty flowers.
icon_razz.gif

So that was a long discussion on my part which basically ended up right where we started - getting the chain saw ready to take down the apple tree.
icon_redface.gif

Guys, I am a stick burner and I use cords of chain-sawn wood exclusively to cook every summer. You can't taste a) Bark, b) Chainsaw oil!

A few points to make about Apple wood here:

The stuff that I've been using is relatively old (dried-out branches. trimmed from an orchard) They were 3-5 years old, and the bark was coming-off. I used a chop-saw with a cheap blade (in case of nails, etc.) to chop them up into a bucket of tennis ball-size chunks. It works great. Conclusion: Old wood, no problemo.

As for seasoning green wood. In the absence of a warm stove to speed your drying, I would suggest the "traditional" firewood-prep method that I read about somewhere a while ago:

SPLIT:
Start with logs about a foot long, and split them green (better yet - frozen, if you live in Northern climate). It also keeps the sweat / B.O. under control if you use a 12-pound maul like I do, to do it in cold weather
icon_wink.gif

PREPARE FOR STACKING:
I have two pressure-treated logs laying parallel, a little less than a foot apart. This keeps the good stuff a little off the ground, promotes air circulation & keeps the good stuff from rotting.

STACK:
lay-out the split wedges, bark-side down, with gaps between them. I start with my bottom layer spanning the pressure-treated "rails", with split "sticks" parallel. Then, the next layer goes two or three long rows of end-to-end sticks going perpendicular to the layer below. Keep alternating directions & build-up layers to a height of 3 to 5 feet - depending on the stability of your "stack".

WAIT:
If you split the stuff in fall / winter - then I would let it "bake" through most of the summer. If you get a little impatient, try some! (Smoke wood probably does not need to be as dry as fire wood.)

CONSOLIDATE (OPTIONAL):
Once it is dried-out, you can re-stack it tighter, eliminating the crossing layers. (I have some heavy-duty plastic brackets, that I stick some 2-by-4's into, that create a "wood crib" for the stuff that I will use for the season. (I think that it stores more easily in larger pieces.)

CHOP:
Use a chop-saw / sawzall / hand saw to cut-up what you need for a smoke or two.

ENJOY: ('nuff said)

Hope this helps

Hi Guys,

While were on the the subject of wood. I am friendly with a tree guy that cuts down trees in the town where I work as a policeman in Mass.
He just gave a a bunch of hickory wood that he just cut on Dec 2nd. The tree was old and had to be cut down. He took all the bark off for me and chopped into pieces that are the same that I buy. I compared it to some I bought and it is a little lighter in color. He can also get me some cherry. Again, the same as apple, should i let it dry out some before using? It is in my shed in some plastic shopping bags. I was gonna try some friday on an overnight smoke for a 9 lb shoulder

Mickey,
Get your wood out of plastic bags. It needs air to dry out. I use those milk crates to store my wood.

Back