Wish I was a butcher

Steven A

TVWBB Super Fan
Picked up a flat iron today. Contrary to what I expected, there is no clear place where to separate the meat down the middle. Argghhh.

Steven, We do many flat irons on the gasser. I treat them like a quick sear thick steak with a little rub. Man, they are good with deep beef flavor. They are also cheap. Good bang for the buck. Just the wife and I here now and done in 10 mins for supper.

ps, If this rain don't stop, I may be bumped back a week for Tri-Tip
icon_redface.gif

Do you split it along the middle, or cook it as one thick piece? I looked, and it seems common to split it along some seen that I'm having difficulty clearly defining.

Sorry to hear about the tri tip delay. You'll enjoy it that much more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steven A.:
Do you split it along the middle, or cook it as one thick piece? I looked, and it seems common to split it along some seen that I'm having difficulty clearly defining.

Sorry to hear about the tri tip delay. You'll enjoy it that much more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't split them. The ones I find are about 1 1/2" thick in the middle. I just slice them thin from the end like brisket when internal center hits about 135*.

Yes bummer on the tri-tip, but there's next weekend
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stuart S:
I always remove the silverskin from flat irons...this is a pretty good guide on how to do it. The guy who wrote it is a butcher and makes it pretty easy to follow.

Flat iron butchery </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i saw this webpage, and it was very helpful. The flat iron I bought was thick. Once I seperated the halves, I had steaks that had uneven ends. One end was quite thick while the other was very thin. This of course led to some well-done meat, and some medium rare meat, which wasn't a bad thing I suppose.

Back