Winter Grilling

I don't think I have ever had a real big difference in fuel used in cold winter as opposed to summer time. The biggest difference for me is I don't mind waking up to do a meat temp check/ fuel check in my boxers for overnight summer smoking, but in the winter you have to get some actual clothes and boots on.
:rolleyes:
Just get the Maverick ET-732 duel thermometer and just check it from your bed.

Not much of a difference. You may need more fuel to keep the temp up in windy and cold conditions. And of course a few Irish cofee to keep u warm.. ;)

It's mostly a matter of mind set. I used to back pack in the mountains. I even did it in the winter. You carried everthing you needed for a week or more, on your back. I always carried a little back packing stove (gas:rolleyes: - butane or white gas). I always figured if I could "live" outside at six thousand feet with LOTS of snow, I could grill when desired. That's the way it works. Believe you me, BBQ ribs or pulled pork tastes just as good in winter as it does in summer.

When it comes to smoked meat, you can always do LOTS of it this fall, vacuum pack it and freeze for the bad weather days. Just keep a path cleared to the grill/smoker and you can have what ever you desire on the milder days of winter without great issue...

Dale53:wsm:

I can't wait to test my WSM against the -40 temps we get here in Winnipeg.

I'm sure I'll have a definitive guide for you guys on how to cook in ultra-low temps by the end of it!

There is nothing more satisfying than grilling in the winter during or just after a snow,
knowing the aromas are driving the neighbors out of their minds.

Back