Wings

Chris W.

TVWBB Pro
Marinated some chicken wings in this sauce for about 36 hours, then smoked them this morning over 3 chunks of cherry. Temps in the smoker were between 225 and 275 for the 1 hour and 45 minutes they were on.

They came out wonderfully. I could taste the cherry, and the wings were not too spicy nor too sweet. You could easily taste both the sweet and the spicy, which I liked.

For my first attempt at wings, I was pretty pleased. I'll definetly try it again.

Perfect timeing - I have a batch of that soft left over from the butt smoke on Saturday. I have plenty on hand to do a marinate.

I was originally planning to to Larry's Orange Marmalade based version of wings, but I'll do that next
icon_smile.gif

I have some glaze from last Wednesdays' rib cook that sould work nice with this.

Only question is that that seems to be a long time for the chicken to be in all that vinegar. No negative/mushy affect after 36 hours?

Don't know if I'll smoke them or remove the pan and cook direct in the WSM. I.E., high temp.

They weren't mushy at all, but I did not intend to leave them in the sauce that long. I planned on leaving them in around 24 hours for a Saturday night dinner, but things came up and I ended up having to push it back to Sunday around lunchtime. But I didn't taste any negative effects from leaving them in there the extra 12ish hours. They did fall right off the bone, however, which was much nicer than Buffalo Wild Wings. I have to work to get it off the bone there, but with these the meat just came right off with no problems.

Cool I'm figuring I'll pick up the wings late tonight and dump them into the marinate tomorrow then. Going to cook these for Wednesday.

i like cooking wings indirect and then direct at the end to crisp up the skin. might not be what ya want with yer wings but a good option.

Hi George! So when using the WSM without the PAN, and going high heat with it pretty much opened up it gets hot and is like a grill (all direct heat).

You have two levels of grate to work with. For hi fat stuff like chicken that likes to burn on the grill if you don't keep it moving, this method works great on the WSM. Thing is for chicken I like to use the smoke of the burning fat for flavor (roadside chicken...).

You get high enough elevation off the fire to keep the flares and flames from burning things - you still have to watch it of course, but bad things will happen slower and you have more time to move, flip, adjust throw the lid on to douse the flames, etc.

I do this all the time when I do Bryan's Roadside Chicken recipe.

The Performer is right beside the WSM, so even though I expect the wings to be crispy off the WSM, I will still be running them on the grill with the glaze anyway.

The wings are trimmed and in the BPS "marinate" as we speak. Man, why can't I keep myself from sipping this stuff. Tasty!

I'm going to use the left over glaze from a modified BRITU rib cook last Wednesday.

On another note, I am fighting off the desire to deep fry these wings when I pull them from the marinade and after the deep fry tossing them around in the glaze.
icon_cool.gif

Maybe next time.

Hey George - got any vac sealed Wagyu Tri Tips you can send my way?
icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Wings are drying now - cant wait. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Came out very nice. Just the right amount of carmelization from the rub and glaze. Also like working with this CI grate in the WSM when using it as a grill:

Wing Cook

Those look great, r! I bet they tasted pretty good too. I didn't think to get pics of mine. Oh well, maybe next time.

I do love that sauce, as does the peeps I cook for. They get angry if I don't have it when I serve PP. Ray, those wings look freaking great man.
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:

Came out very nice. Just the right amount of carmelization from the rub and glaze. Also like working with this CI grate in the WSM when using it as a grill:

Wing Cook </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ray,

Those wings look fantastic! Where did you find the CI grate to fit the WSM?

Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mike maclean:

Wing Cook </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ray,

Those wings look fantastic! Where did you find the CI grate to fit the WSM?

Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought it before the Craycort CI grates were available. Used it on the Performer previous.

It's from Big Green Egg and is the 18" round cast iron grill assessory for there large Egg.

I picked mine up at Fred's Music & Barbecue in Shillington, PA. They mail order as well:

BGE 18" CI Grate

Pretty reasonable. Kind of awkward to lift when hot, so I use the Raichlen lifter in the pictures:

Grid Lifter

I actually have two. This allows me to lift the whole grid with the food on it and set it aside on the Performer to pull the food without working above all that heat.

Back