Wine Oak wood-Very Good for Brisket

Michael C.

TVWBB Gold Member
I smoked a Brisket over the labor day weekend, using Steven Raichlen's Wine Barrel Staves, that I found at a local Barbegue Galore store. The wood smoke and flavor was Fantastic on the Brisket. In the past, I have always used Apple or Pecan wood for my Brisket. But the wine oak wood was just awesome on the meat.

Fast forward to today, I found a local Bed/Bath % Beyond store, marking down a lot of stuff on clearance, including their BBQ stuff, before an inventory end of month count.

Long story short, they had the Raichlen Oak wood priced at $4.99, down from $9.99 each. Upon check out, the clerk says there is an instore mark down of 35%. Each Stave set is now $2.00 each. I bought the whole case that the store had in stock. 10 sets of Wine Oak Staves. For a little over $20 bucks.

I'm very happy now, I'm set for some good smoking, tasty food for 2007. I just wanted to share this gem to you.

I'm posting the photos now, since I now have figured out how do to that. It was a midnight brisket smoke. The Brisket was moist and tender, full of flavor. I smoked the brisket for 12 hrs overnight, using a Brickmann pan, rested in foil in a cooler for 3 hrs. It was just awesome. I'm hooked now with Wine Oak wood.
Give it a try, if you can.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=2AZMnDhk1ZMXQg

Mike, Great pics!!! Made me real hungry for some brisket
icon_smile.gif
Will have to look for those staves

I have been doing good with my pork butts. I an sorta afraid to cook a brisket. That being said, looking at those pictures I think i might try it this weekend....

Michael,

I stumbled upon the oak staves as well. Great with beef. The smell of wine in the smoke is something. I recently found them being cleared out online as well, however, down here in FL the stores are gearing up for spring. All the patio stuff is back on display. Get on clearance while you can.....

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n..... too many choices!
Gary

The wife and I were just there this weekend. I might have to go back since I didn't see these. But, I also didn't exactly look for them either.

Edit - I just got back. I bough the last seven packages at $2.10 each. I can't wait to use them.

Today, I stopped by Bed, Bath & Beyond, looking for any other marked down bbq goodies. What I found was Steven Raichlen's "All-Purpose" Barbecue rub, and his "Island Spice" rub, priced at $2.50 each. I have used the "All-Purpose" rub on brisket before, it's pretty good stuff. I have not yet tried the Island Spice yet. Maybe this weekend.

That brisket looks real good. I have yet to attempt one. After seeing those pictures, it will not be long before I do.

Thank you for your kind comments. I have a few briskets underneath my belt now. This was, by far, the best one, that I have ever done. I used the Raichlen "All-Purpose" BBQ rub on the meat, it was good choice. The WSM does such a good job on brisket.

had my wife pick up some at bed bath and beyond. they were originally 9.99 for 9 staves, she was able to get them for 1.50 so she picked up the remaining 4 that they had. 40 dollars for 6 not a bad deal. you wonder what kind of mark up they have on these. waiting to try them but it has been extremely cold here in North Dakota!!!!

Michael, Thanks for the heads up on the staves at BBB. I went to two stores and bought all of their stock, I wanted to try them but at $10 apiece I was not willing to try but at $2 why not. I will be trying them out tomorrow. I also picked up 2 of Raichlen's rib racks for $12.The racks are real nice compared to Weber’s rack.

How big was the brisket,was it a point or flat,did you cook with the fat cap up or down,did you trim any of the fat cap,did you foil at any time????

Hmmm, looking at my BBQ log (great to keep notes), this brisket was 10.43 lbs, trim fat cap the best that I could to 1/4 inch, but mostly, the fat was greater then that (I need a better knife). Fat side down, meat on at 9:00pm, basted with Apple juice w/spray bottle at 12:00am, went to bed. Woke up next morning, wrapped meat in foil with more apple juice at 9:00am, wrapped with towels in ice chest. Meat rested for 3hrs.

I'm going to do another midnight brisket tonight, using the wine oak staves. This one is slightly smaller, 9.72 lbs.

How are your wine-oak wood bbq turning out? Post some pictures if you can. I'd like to see your results.

Back