wind screen

Yes, thanks, and I will try and document it.

I realize I'm over doing it. I'm sure a solution like your's would suffice 90% of the time.

Somebody's trailer on this site read something like, "If it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing." I guess that's me to
icon_smile.gif

I kind of like that blanket idea. I know that there is a company that sells one for $100 listed somewhere on the site. I think it is good to keep the wsm insulated as well especially in cold climates.

Hi Clark,

Yes, tried that yesterday. I ended up already starting the frames and made them 30" wide. I called a local metal supply "superstore" and they would sell 22 gauge sheet metal 4'x8' sheets for $68 and I figure I need 2. $136 I don't want to spend. Half that I might be able to swallow (or I'll get so frustrated trying to find something else I'll eventually bite the bullet and buy it
icon_smile.gif
)

Originally posted by Todd Randall:
22 gauge sheet metal 4'x8' sheets for $68 and I figure I need 2. $136
I used 2'x4' 1/4" plywood. If you paint it well it will be weather resistant, and since there is an air gap between the screen and WSM it should be fine heat wise.

Ok, I'm 90% done with building my wind screens / weather screens. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions and advice, I think they are turning out pretty well. In fact, since I only have a 1.5 car garage and my wife likes to park in there in the winter, I think I will try to use these for cold storage all year long out on my back patio. That's why I put a roof on it. I'm think that with the Weber cover on the wsm and the wsm inside of this, I shouldn't have too many issues.

So here are some pics with a short description (I'll try to be short!!!:))

I basically used Clark's design of 2 bifolds. The major differences being I sloped from front to back so that rain and snow will run off the roof. All materials are weather resistent. All the hardware is galvanized / zinc plated. The frames are 1" by 1" composite decking, spindles I guess, probaby most used on railings. The panels are aluminum.

Pic1 of both bifolds and roof in front
Pic2 of the same
Pic3 of the same

Here's the roof but upside down so you can see the frame.

roof1

I just drilled holes in the bifolds, and then used they doyle rods or whatever they are called, and the roof just sits down into them after the bifold are opened up.

roof2

Here's the holes that they fit into.

hole1

Here's a better look at the side of a bifold to see the sloped angle I used.

bifold1

Putting it all together.

setup bifold1
setup bifold2
set the roof in the holes

done.

Another shot of full assemble.

full1

The front door opens for easy access while cooking.

open the door

Another shot with wsm inside.

wsm1

Couple of loose ends I want to tie up. I want to put some carry handles and some sort of latch on each bifold. Fold them up, latch, and easy pick carry with a handle. Same for the roof. But, that's about it I guess.

I'm using them right now, even though the winds are quite calm, probably only 5-10, I can definitely see a difference in temp control. Time will tell how well they will work for cold storage (blindy rain protection / 2 feet of snow on piled up). LOL.

Again, thanks goes out to all of you, I couldn't have done it without your help.

Todd

Nice job and good luck with it.
If I knew the difference between a hammer and a screwdriver I might try one myself

Todd,
Great looking wind screen. I've been following your thread and have the same issue as you did - materials. I love the composite deck spindles for the framing. I also appreciate all the work you did on researching the panels. I had the same issue running through my mind (weight versus cost versus heat and weather tolerance). The aluminum seems like a great compromise. Unfortunately, you didn't share the cost you ended up paying. Were you able to get the aluminum at a reasonable price? Also, where did you get the aluminum and what size did it come in?

Thanks.

Hi Jerry,

I was waiting for somebody to ask that question :). It's not cheap.

I live in the Buffalo area and I got mine at a place called The metal supermarket. I found the place via word of mouth. But I also saw it listed on a University of Buffalo website for the metalworking department as a place for students to get their project materials, if this helps.

I built the frames and measured out each panel. I took them my measurements on a Friday, they put them in the computer, and told me the price. They made all the 90 degree cuts. The only cuts I had to make were the not 90 degree angled roof cuts. I told them to quote me the thinnest / cheapest / weather resistant material. I don't know what guage the alum is, maybe it's on my receipt. They were $155. I picked them up the following Monday.

Ya, a lot of cash I know, considering the rest of the whole thing was about $50, maybe $75 tops.

I decided to make the investment and justified it in my head because:

1. I planned on using it year round for cold storage and the great flexibility it gives me (easy storage, easy transportation, setup, should be able to cook in hard wind, rain, snow, anywhere I take my wsm).
2. I also got that STAR tax rebate check last month or the month before ;-)

Todd

I made a Reflectrix blanket for the WSM last Thanksgiving, after a 40-degree blowing mist knocked my temps down while I was trying to roast the turkey!

The blanket serves as an effective rain jacket and windblock. All you need is Reflectrix, shears, and hi-heat tape.

Pretty it ain't. But it works in rain, snow, and high wind, and will keep your temps where you want them. And it's a must for getting a hi-heat cook in inclement weather.

Here it is:

Schematic
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/540perry/540perry/Misc/WSM_blanket.jpg
Photo
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/540perry/540perry/Misc/20...62856AA_edited-1.jpg
Thermo
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/540perry/540perry/Misc/20...62944AA_edited-1.jpg
Guru
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/540perry/540perry/Misc/20...62908AA_edited-1.jpg

Todd,
I'll have to continue my search. I don't doubt that you'll be happy with your wind break, but I need to come in cheaper. If I ever come up with a good, cheap alternative, I'll post it.

I do appreciate the idea of the composite material for the frame. That should hold up a lot better than wood with no maintenance.

I hear ya Jerry.

Funny thing you mention alternatives, I did just think of one. After seeing the reflectrix blanket above from Mike, I got to thinking about fireproof blankets / canvas / welding blankets.

I started googling them and found a few places that sold them for decent prices. I didn't calculate total cost all out but I saw a 4' by 5' blanket for about $20.

I'd have to research them a bit more, some I think have a coating on them to make them weather/water resistent, some don't. And those could be more expensive. I'm not totally sure, but I think they would be worth investigating further.

If you don't care about having a ridgid panel, these would work fine stretching them over the frames and tacking / stapling / nailing in place. And they are rated up to 1000 degrees.

hmmmmm, wish I would have thought of that before.

Todd

If you are looking for a cheap wind break why not find a 50 gallon poly barrel and cut one end off and cut a hole in the other end for a top vent? Rope handles to R&R

Todd - you are crazy. Of course, that comment is based purely out of my jealousy for what you have built. Looks great.

As for me, I am going with the dado cut 2x4's and plywood. I think I will incorporate some type of roof with a vent on it for the wet days. I will probably sheath it in aluminum (the roof).

I am not too concerned about the temps, but rather merely the wind screen. I may be wrong, but I never seem to have temp control issues on cold days, but have major problems with the wind in almost any temp.

You guys all have great ideas. This forum is great!

Very nice work Todd.
Can't wait to complete my project .

It's a hockey free weekend (kids have no games scheduled, and the team I coach is off also) so I get to play with my tools
icon_smile.gif

Buying the rest of the materials this weekend, hopefully will complete construction and get it ready for staining and the Spar urethane.

Just a little update for any of you interested.

Here in Buffalo, since I've built this, we've had hard rains, wind, and snow......figure that :) I've cooked in all of them :)

So far, so good, I can't be happier. It's been working great for cold storage out on my uncovered back patio too. The WSM is staying nice and protected and dry.

I've probably cooked 3 or 4 times now with it, and what a difference it does make. High heat cooks are definitely easier. Did a meatloaf Sunday, temps were so easy to control, there wasn't a lot of wind outside, but still easier to maintain high temps I think. I could even just crack the door or open it half way to bring temps down 5-10 degrees if I wanted. Of course it was only in the high 20's outside.

I might be cooking a standing rib roast new years eve day over at my father-in-laws, so I'll be testing out how easy it is to haul around. I wish I had time to put the handles on the bifolds and roof that I was planning on doing.

Todd

Back