Wild goose and what to marinate in?

Hey folks. Killed some geese, which was great fun, but now I need to cook them. I've always just done them in the oven like an italian beef style, but want to branch out. Any marinade ideas or other ways to effectively cook them on the WSM? I have 8 breasts, all fairly large, close to 1 pound each I would say. Any help is appreciated!

Red wine and soy sauce... i don't have an exact measurement but i'd say a cup of each for a pound and a half.... i just did this on new years and it was delicious.... topped it off with some honey on the smoker. pull rare. if over done chop and mix with cream cheese for a cracker spread. wish i goose hunting with ya. our season in AZ is over sunday. ended up with 80 ducks and only two honkers. good luck.

Jet fuel.
icon_eek.gif

We were the opposite this year on ducks. We did real well one weekend where it was absolutely miserable cold. -11 on the thermometer, 35 mph winds, but we hammered the mallards. Otherwise, all geese for us. Ended up with 118 on the year for 6 guys. This last cold snap really pushed the birds out of here though. Most of our goose usually goes to making sticks, which are delicious, but I want to do something a little difft to these ones.

What kind of birds to u get in AZ in terms of quantities and types?

BBQ Goose with Prune, Raisin and Brandy Stuffing

9 lb goose, rinsed, patted dry
2 tsp salt
8 oz herb stuffing mixture
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brandy
1/4 lb butter
2 tangerines, peeled and sectioned
1 stick celery, thinly sliced
3/4 cup pitted prunes, quartered
1/2 cup raisins
Vegetable/olive oil for rubbing

Remove all the loose fat, sprinkle the cavity with 1 tsp salt and set aside.

Preheat barbecue and prepare for indirect grilling with a large drip pan.

Prepare the herbed stuffing according to package directions, using 1 1/2 cups water, 1/2 cup brandy and butter. Once the stuffing is thoroughly moistened, stir in the tangerines, celery, prunes and raisins, stirring well to distribute the fruit evenly.

Spoon the mixture into the body cavity, using up any remaining to fill in the neck cavity. Close both ends of the goose with skewers and place in a pan. Pierce the skin of the goose all over with a fork. Rub the skin all over lightly with vegetable oil. Rub the remaining salt on the skin.

The goose will loose a lot of fat during cooking so you need to make sure the drip tray will catch that fat. Place goose on grill over the unheated portion of the grill. Keep the grill temperature around 180 degrees C. Baste the goose with water and oil every 20 minutes for 2 about hours or until the internal temperature of the goose reaches about 75 degrees C.

Remove from grill and allow to rest for ten minutes. Carve and serve.

Serves 6

Back