Wifi - no mac address, scan doesn't find any networks

The adapter works fine on my windows pc, so it's not a bum adapter.

As soon as I unplugged it, put in the edimax one and powered up, a mac address was listed, and a scan brought up many networks.

I think they have maybe changed the adapter, there are many new reviews on Amazon complaining it doesn't work with rPi, that it'd not an RT5370 but something else

The issue is more likely that the chipset is just slightly different than what the OpenWRT wireless drivers for the HM is looking for.

The issue is more likely that the chipset is just slightly different than what the OpenWRT wireless drivers for the HM is looking for.

Yah, though, as I said before, Bryan and I both had great success with other RT5370 adapters. It's the only one I have seen function properly in Access Point mode....

I also got bit by by trying the niceEshop adapter. I'll likely keep trying to get it to work, but, as mentioned previously in this thread the adapter, the device is not recognized automatically as of V12 10-03-2014 release.

For now, I've added a strikeout to this adapter on the wiki page.

Confirmed that my 'niceEshop Mini 150M USB WiFi Wireless LAN 802.11 n/g/b Adapter' is showing up with vendor:device id of 0bda:0179 which makes it an RTL8188ETV chipset requiring the 8188eu.ko driver and firmware. This driver appears in Linux 3.12 staging, but I do not believe it is available for the 3.3.8 kernel that hm is currently using on the rpi.

Back