Why you light it like you do?

12 - 14 for me generally. My dome thermometer turned into another top vent. No problem getting temp up now. My quest now is for the molded lid damper handles. Tired of burning my fingers since I seem to be too dumb to remember the vent is also hot.

Molded lid damper handles? You're cooking too hot, J! lol...

I do "C" for everything except high heat chicken. I use 12 briq's for the 18.5 and 8-10 for the 14.5 and Mini-Joe. For chicken, I just use a full chimney of lit (it's a short, high heat, cook and I don't need anything else).

I just realized I didn't really answer your question. The "reason" I do it like I do is that it is consistent. I LIKE consistent!

Keep in mind, my largest smoker is an 18.5" WSM...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Robert, that makes perfect sense to me, especially since you use Kbb and a dry pan. Thanks a lot for the input!

Difference between B & C? Why tin can instead of making a hole?

My take on the tin can method is that it probably burns just as clean as the MM, and that it may be a superior method if using cheap briquettes like Kbb. I say that because the ash isn't falling on top of the unlit as much and potentially suffocating the fire, with the fire burning OUT, as opposed to just DOWN.

I used to do it different. Take my torch, and stick it in all three lower vent's for a minute or so, that hit it right in the middle.
That was with lump, and I always had consistent burns.
Now I'm lazy and just light off a quarter chimney with a torch on my OTG, and spread that over the top.:)

Tim

I always use 'B', haven't had any problems with it, so haven't tried anything else.

But I guess I missed something along the way, because now I see a lot of references to a 'snake' and/or 'fuse' method of lighting coals. I tried to search for it on this site, but have not seen an explanation of this. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Pete

I always use 'B', haven't had any problems with it, so haven't tried anything else.

But I guess I missed something along the way, because now I see a lot of references to a 'snake' and/or 'fuse' method of lighting coals. I tried to search for it on this site, but have not seen an explanation of this. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Pete

Pete,

Maybe someone with more experience will shine some more light on the snake/fuse method, but here is a link to a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiGRbyg_zeI

My take on the tin can method is that it probably burns just as clean as the MM, and that it may be a superior method if using cheap briquettes like Kbb. I say that because the ash isn't falling on top of the unlit as much and potentially suffocating the fire, with the fire burning OUT, as opposed to just DOWN.

Dave,

I was using Kingsford Competition. I poured a hole bag in charcoal ring, made a hole to the grate, and dumped about 40 lit ones in the hole. I used 40 because it was in the 20's. Should I have used a tin can?

I used to do it different. Take my torch, and stick it in all three lower vent's for a minute or so, that hit it right in the middle.
That was with lump, and I always had consistent burns.
Now I'm lazy and just light off a quarter chimney with a torch on my OTG, and spread that over the top.:)

Tim

Me, too. My chimney is by the grill, but my torch and propane tank is in the shed. Usually an easy call. If not using my ATC, I light in four zones: between all three vents, and in the middle. I put up to three wood chunks in front of the vents after putting the meat on. Thanks, Tim.

Dave,

I was using Kingsford Competition. I poured a hole bag in charcoal ring, made a hole to the grate, and dumped about 40 lit ones in the hole. I used 40 because it was in the 20's. Should I have used a tin can?

I didn't mean that it wouldn't work good with any other charcoal; just that it might be a better method than dumping on top with a cheap charcoal like Kbb that produces a lot of ash. Relatively speaking though, K Comp produces a lot of ash as well. But the tin can isn't necessary, obviously. It's just a way to place the lit briqs in very consistently. You just take a coffee can or similar and cut out the bottom. Place on the grate, pour the unlit briquettes around it, and then the lit goes in the middle. I can't remember how many briqs a large coffee can will hold, but Robert would know. You just have to give the cooker more time with the vents wide open and use more hot or boiling water when the weather is less than ideal.

Pete

Pete, I forgot about listing that method, but it's not commonly used on the wsm; more for grills or smokers where the meat isn't directly above the coals. Maybe someone might chime in, but the temps would be pretty uneven across the grate. Obviously, I also wouldn't try it using water, since it's for a low fire and a light meat load. I will say this, though. I saw a youtube video of a guy using it for ribs without water on the 22" wsm, and they looked great.

"C" without the tin can. I never have one so I just create a hole right down to the grate. I found that sprinkling the lit in top ended up with all coals ingnited much quicker than pouring into the center. Since I don't run water I think I have greater control with the temp control

Pete

hey Pete the snake method is commonly used in kettles and off-set smokers,i personally have not seen it used in vertical smokers.works great on kettles,2 rows wide and 2 high and you get a long burn and real easy temp control,hope this helps.

hey Pete the snake method is commonly used in kettles and off-set smokers,i personally have not seen it used in vertical smokers.works great on kettles,2 rows wide and 2 high and you get a long burn and real easy temp control,hope this helps.

forgot to mention that you lay the briquettes out along half the grill or so unlit and pour about a dozen lit briquettes on one end and it works its way around like a fuse,burning nice and slow.

C works real well, I do use the party Q however I set it at 200 to prevent the temp from getting to low while sleeping all night:). Not to maintain temp on the higher value, the WSM does what it does all on its own,

Pete

Here ya go Pete and Jay. "C", snake, fuse, etc used in the WSM: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?40144-Jim-inspired-Jerky

Light one end. It keeps a nice low temp fire for a long time.

Last edited:
The Smoke EZ, an attachment that makes your kettle work like a WSM, uses "snake" method.

Thanks for weighing in, Bill. For long smokes, have you ever tried first pouring in a layer or two of briquettes in the bottom of the ring before putting the can in the center?

Great post Dave. To answerer your question, no, I've never tried a layer of briquettes in the bottom before putting the can in the center. I will try it and see what the difference is.
Thanks
Bill

I'm a B-C guy. I make an indention in the middle and pour in 12-15 lit coals. Snake method on my Smoke EZ. I've found it easier to get thin blue smoke with the snake method.

Back