Why you light it like you do?

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
Last butt cook I used briquettes instead of lump, MM with a torch, but the smoke never quite cleaned up to my satisfaction before putting the meat and wood chunks on. I just used less hickory though, and it turned out ok. I've tried all of the methods below, but not enough to come to any hard and fast conclusions.

So which method do you prefer and why? Thanks for weighing in. :)

A) Minion method with a torch
B) Minion method with a partial chimney dumped on top
C) Lit poured in tin can in the center
D) Weber method: starter cubes in top of pile
E) Chimney lit in center of unlit

Generally B but last weekend I did A. Seemed to work just as good, but for comps we always do B. This always is enough heat from the briquets to start the cook as well as lite the coals without any big overshoot, especially when the cold meat is put on. That is why I seldom worry about the initial overshoot. Cold meat brings temp down enough that I have to play with the vents just a little for a short time if I'm being anal about the temps.

Generally B but last weekend I did A. Seemed to work just as good, but for comps we always do B. This always is enough heat from the briquets to start the cook as well as lite the coals without any big overshoot, especially when the cold meat is put on. That is why I seldom worry about the initial overshoot. Cold meat brings temp down enough that I have to play with the vents just a little for a short time if I'm being anal about the temps.

Thanks, J. I find the same thing. Given the same temp of the fire at the start of a cook, do you find that the torch lit charcoal burns a little cleaner? I used to think so, but after my last cook I'm not too sure. One thing about dumping coals on is that you don't have to worry about buried wood catching fire like sometimes happens if you're not careful with a torch.

Started with B, then switched to C. Returned back to B since it seems to produce better coal burn distribution.

Started with B, then switched to C. Returned back to B since it seems to produce better coal burn distribution.

That's what I seem to remember as well, Bob. I'm particularly afraid that if I use the tin can method with my ATC, that the coals opposite the active vent will be the last to light.

Yup. With an atc, you can get off center burns. The 'dump' method ;) makes it easier to account for this. I find the burn seems to progress away from the atc vent. So I load it a little lighter in that area.

Last edited:
Thanks, J. I find the same thing. Given the same temp of the fire at the start of a cook, do you find that the torch lit charcoal burns a little cleaner? I used to think so, but after my last cook I'm not too sure. One thing about dumping coals on is that you don't have to worry about buried wood catching fire like sometimes happens if you're not careful with a torch.

I really can't tell any difference other than the Kingsford smell I get from briquets in general. Also, I don't put wood on until I put the meat on then add a chunk every hour or so if I am really conscientious about it.

I really can't tell any difference other than the Kingsford smell I get from briquets in general. Also, I don't put wood on until I put the meat on then add a chunk every hour or so if I am really conscientious about it.

Thanks, man. I started waiting to put the wood on after I got sick and tired of smoke in my eyes. Of course, waiting also prevents the wood from igniting.

Haven't we all, and that's why I can't start with only a dozen or so briquettes like some do. Also, an extra top vent helps get a cooker full of cold meat up to temp.

12 - 14 for me generally. My dome thermometer turned into another top vent. No problem getting temp up now. My quest now is for the molded lid damper handles. Tired of burning my fingers since I seem to be too dumb to remember the vent is also hot.

I do "C" for everything except high heat chicken. I use 12 briq's for the 18.5 and 8-10 for the 14.5 and Mini-Joe. For chicken, I just use a full chimney of lit (it's a short, high heat, cook and I don't need anything else).

I just realized I didn't really answer your question. The "reason" I do it like I do is that it is consistent. I LIKE consistent!

Keep in mind, my largest smoker is an 18.5" WSM...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:

Back