Why only black?

Ben R

TVWBB Member
I was just wondering why the wsm only comes in black? didnt stop me from getting mine but would have liked to color match with my grill

Weber is known for their black grills, the only other color weber has used was stainless steel. Given the way smoking is and what it does to the stainless steel color I can only imagine they felt black was better. On a stainless steel model when you smoke it actually turns your steel a brown and yellow color. Which eventually turns to black after the natural heat hardens the smoke. In doing so it would turn black anyways, so because of this I imagin they painted it to give an already seasoned look.

Weber is known for their black grills, the only other color weber has used was stainless steel. Given the way smoking is and what it does to the stainless steel color I can only imagine they felt black was better. On a stainless steel model when you smoke it actually turns your steel a brown and yellow color. Which eventually turns to black after the natural heat hardens the smoke. In doing so it would turn black anyways, so because of this I imagin they painted it to give an already seasoned look.

Yea i know weber flagship color is black and is well known for that, but webers grills have many diff. colors to choose from just wondering why they only did a black for there smoker i have a ep-310 in copper and would to have loved a wsm in the same color.

I did see the blue you were speaking about however, I am not sure they were ever sold. When I looked online there was no information regarding them.. Possibly a competition prize?

im not sure either, i looked around before i got my wsm and didn't see colors to choose from only black. Any one out there know why?

would be cool to see a copper or red WSM. i just got a copper OTG and it looks awesome. definitely sets it apart from my black wsm and black smokey joe.

My assumptions:
1-Weber sells a gagillion grills every year.....but far fewer smokers in comparison. The economies of scale make it less practical to offer the WSM in various colors since they don't sell THAT many of them.
2- Color selection can cause supply headaches when people start asking for a specific color. The manufacturers have to "guess" which colors people will prefer and try to manufacture a "target number". If you make too many 'yellow' smokers, you get stuck with them and/or have to blow them out with firesale pricing.
3-Weber isn't losing many sales to their competitors that sell smokers in 'prettier' colors.
All that said, Weber doesn't offer multiple colors because they don't see an upside (for them).
But again, I'm guessing.

Henry Ford would be proud. :) I would think it possible to respray a WSM any colour you like. High heat enamel like used on engines is good to 500 or 600 degrees. Thinking about it... paint each section of the WSM a diff colour. You could get a Rasta Smoker! :)

From when I worked there? It's cheap.

There was a thought of doing colors, but certain colors have certain chemicals that are released during heating. That's why green, red, yellow went away for a long time.

but also.. it's cheap.

There was a post about this earlier on, someone said they sent it to california to get a new paint job on it. cost about 100 bucks they said.

Because it's cheap.

For a long time they had grills and everything in colors, but those colors leached out toxins when heated. The reds, greens, yellows.. that's why you didn't have those colors until new enamels were formulated.

When I did work on the smokers, the idea was brought up to have different color sections that people can mix and match. But it would be an ordering nightmare. So black was it. Plus to Weber?

CHEAP.

Back