Why does everybody seem to have 3 or 4 or 5 different grills and smokers?

A guy HAS to have a grill. After having a few el cheapo brinkman's blow up on me, I traded up to an 18.5 wsm to learn how to smoke. I fell in love with the WSM but wanted more room so added a 22.5 wsm. I also wanted to be able to serve combinations of things like smoked & grilled beef tenderloin and smoked salmon. For a graduation party yesterday, I smoked a beef tenderloin on the 22.5 wsm and seared it on the OTG while at the same time smoking some wings on the 18.5 wsm. Everything came off the smoker &/or grill at just the right time, and everything got devoured quickly. Now that I have them, I'm a bit surprised at how often I end up using all three at the same time ... which means I'll probably add a fourth in the not-too-distant future (a Primo XL is WAY up on my wish list).

My saying is: "He who has the most toys wins!" :cool: I have 5 Webers, use most of them and got
rid of an electric smoker, a ECB and old Charbroil gasser. I am glad that I am not quite addicted
to this as my wife is to shoes. I think she is on a first name basis with every Nine West Shoe
salesperson in the 3 surrounding states! :D

I have a MES 30 electric smoker for the low steady temps required for sausage making, a faithful 22.5 kettle for everything, and just got a 18.5 WSM for more rib capacity. Oh, almost forgot my portable Jumbo Joe for when I head out camping or guest grilling!

Each grill has a job to do. The wsm is for smoking. The performer is for pizza, steaks, and smoking small items. My master touch is my overflow its was replaced by the performer a couple of years ago. My jumbo joe is for the beach or a BBQ at the park. Finally my ep320 is for burgers, hot dogs chicken breasts, my wife uses it a lot cause she doesn't like to mess with charcoal and for those days where I don't want to me with charcoal I use the gas grill. I had a q300, I liked it a lot, it got hot so quickly and the cast iron grates seared well, got rid of it, didn't use it enough and I wanted some of my patio back.

I've been reading these boards for a while and came out of lurkdom specifally to address this post.
We have a Genesis Silver, a Performer and a 22.5 WSM that, well.... I guess you could say I got custody in the divorce. Before you have me burned for charcoal, let me assure you this was not a spiteful divorce act. Without writing out the entire Lifetime Movie, my ex made some poor decisions and ended up a guest of the state and when we lost our home and had to downsize, I told him he needed to find a home for his belongings. He told me to "let my friends have the grills", forgetting, I suppose, that his two daughter actually eat, or "give them to someone I would approve of". So my two young daughters proclaimed "give them to us!" And that's exactly what I did. Wise beyond their years, those two. And turning into a hell of a couple good cooks and grillers at ages 13 and 10.

He hadnt given the grills and TLC for quite a time so we shined them up, replaced a bunch of rusted parts (TY Amazon and Weber customer service) and got to grillin'! I've grilled on gas for years (and still do) but began to teach myself the art of the coals. Being a single mom, working f/t and going to school f/t doesn't leave much free time so just this past Dec I began to branch into smoking. What a forgiving way to cook! I smoked a pork loin for Christmas and fell asleep on the couch. The smoker ran hot and my water evaoprated but I woke up in time to pull it off, albiet several hours earlier than I had anticipated! (I have since bought a wireless remote probe thermometer so this doesn't happen again) I wrapped in foil and towels and popped it in a cooler to hold, made the rest of my side dishes and it was quite good, despite being just barely overcooked. I had used a coffee rub that was excellent upon the recommendation of a coworker. We at half and i froze the other half, which I pulled out about a month ago, chopped and cooked in come chile verde sauce, beer and a bunch of spices to make a pork taco filling so good, it would make you slap your grandma. I just grill/smoked a meatloaf on the Performer this weekend and I may never again bake one in the oven. It was absolutely delicious.

My ex indoctrinated me to the multiple grill philosphy when we first married. (Not really a hard sell, I love to cook and so did he.) Personally I dont get why many women have an issue with it - it's a hobby that comes with dinner...what's not to love! Lol

CarrieAnn, I also love your story . We need more people like YOU.
Thank you for sharing.

Peter

CarrieAnn, Welcome to the forum and don't be a stranger. Yours is a viewpoint that we need to hear. Keep fighting the good fight and good luck with your daughters. Mine are 28 and 30 and the oldest made us grandparents 19 months ago. Now I need to teach my son-in-law the fine art of Q. It is worth the good fight.

I don't understand the wives complaining about too many grills. Guys go check their closets and count their shoes and purses. They will tell you they each serve a purpose and you can say touche only my grills put good food on the table.

Started with a propane grill. Found that i liked smokers. Started with a cheap brinkman bullet smoker and new it had to be better than this. Found this site. Bought a 18.5 WSM. Fell in love with charcoal. Bought the 22.5 OTG. My son really started to get into cooking so i bought him the Smokey Joe Silver.

I never touch my Propane grill anymore.

Why?

The same reason we have a bunch of different pots and pans, a microwave, stove, and and two ovens. They each have their own purpose and allow you to cook a whole bunch of food when entertaining. :)

I don't think I have too many grills I think I don't have enough but my wife normally doesn't agree. However the other day there was a 18.5 WSM on craigslist and I said I wanted it because I didn't have one. The wife first said no, then she saw my face and said get it if you want, but it was already gone. Oh well there will be others. Tonight when we were watching Pitmasters and I made a comment about the custom smokers price and she asked me how much had I spent on my stuff and I said some of it is 15 years old so it doesn't count.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I must admit, I'm a Weber nut. There. I said it. I've got a kettle on the covered front porch, my Smoky Joes are in the shed mainly for trips, and my regularly used smokers and grills are out back. But I've only paid full price for half of my Webers. If Weber ever starts making ceramic cookers or offset smokers I'm gonna end up in the doghouse.

Back