Who's getting their bird drunk this year - Jack Daniels Maple Syrup Brine

You just reminded me that I have an aging turkey breast in the freezer. Guess it's coming out today in hopes of being served up Sunday night.

I actually googled "Whiskey Brine Turkey" and got numerous recipes. I've made up my mind, I'm definitely doing a "Whiskey Brine" I just have to figure out which one. I'll post up my brine once I make up my mind. 19 days until Thanksgiving and counting :)

Go with this. It's awesome. The addition of some oranges in the brine is a nice twist. Cook over just a hint of cherry wood and you've got a winner.

Larry, the recipe looks good, but how much water is used for the recipe? It appears that it could be anywhere between 1 gal to 4 gal. This would be a pretty big variation in the strength of the mix.

THanks

Larry, the recipe looks good, but how much water is used for the recipe? It appears that it could be anywhere between 1 gal to 4 gal. This would be a pretty big variation in the strength of the mix.

THanks
I do big birds and I typically use about 5 - 6 quarts of water (if memory serves me correctly. Remember if you go over that gallon mark to increase your salt accordingly.

I will be doing one breast and a couple of thighs (small Thanksgiving this year). Plan to brine in a zip lock, so will only need a couple of quarts. I will portion down accordingly.

Thanks

Will be doing it again this year.......Only way to cook a turkey in my opinion.

So what cook times do people get on the bird? I always end up cooking mine faster than I think it will always take :rolleyes:

So what cook times do people get on the bird? I always end up cooking mine faster than I think it will always take :rolleyes:

A brined bird seems to cook faster for some reason.

On a 20ish lb bird at 325 I'm around 3 - 3.5 hours.

Decided on getting our bird drunk on Honey Whiskey instead of Maple Whiskey - my ingredients:

EE6681EC-9B50-40E4-961E-6E8FB7D0CF22_zpslyp06gy7.jpg

Bird has been getting drunk since Monday Night, dries out tonight for a noon start tomorrow

E5186CF4-6A3A-4F47-8F47-0B3D623868CF_zpss1au7akw.jpg

I've 2 breasts getting drunk right now :)
No better way to get them ;)

Decided on getting our bird drunk on Honey Whiskey instead of Maple Whiskey - my ingredients:

Bird has been getting drunk since Monday Night, dries out tonight for a noon start tomorrow
Hey, that's not a homer's bucket is it? Guys on here and another form used to bust my chops about using one so I finally went out and found a food grade bucket. Still use homer's if I'm doing two birds.

Let me know what you think of the switch in the type of Jack. I went with Jim Beam this year, found out my BIL no longer drinks Jack, I don't drink Jack so I figured I'd spend a little less if it's just going to sit in the cabinet.

My birds been down since Monday evening as well, taking her out tonight, give her a rinse and then back in the fridge. Family currently on I-15 fighting a storm to get to Vegas. Going to be a great T-Day

Hey, that's not a homer's bucket is it? Guys on here and another form used to bust my chops about using one so I finally went out and found a food grade bucket. Still use homer's if I'm doing two birds.
Yes sir, all $2.99 of it. I spray it down with bleach, I ran it through the dishwasher on "sani cycle" so I pretty confident it's clean. I've never had the plastic transfer to the food, but I have had aluminum transfer over, so I just go with the big plastic bucket for turkey. I use my crock pots to brine chicken, but 25LBS is a tad much for crock pot, LOL

The Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey is pretty tasty if I don't say so myself. I actually like it a lot, which is why I had to hurry up and get my brine going before I drank another bottle :)

over in the paint section at Lowes (& I'm sure HD too) they have food grade buckets & lids for about the same price as the homer buckets ($3-4 for the bucket, $2-3 for the lids). Brew stores have them too but might be a little more money.

Looks like Chuck's going all out---gonna be some good pics tomorrow I'm sure

over in the paint section at Lowes (& I'm sure HD too) they have food grade buckets & lids for about the same price as the homer buckets ($3-4 for the bucket, $2-3 for the lids). Brew stores have them too but might be a little more money.

Looks like Chuck's going all out---gonna be some good pics tomorrow I'm sure

Yep, Lowes is the way to go. I have a couple of those buckets for extra volume in my winemaking habit, er, hobby.

Yep, Lowes is the way to go. I have a couple of those buckets for extra volume in my winemaking habit, er, hobby.

OT:
I'm so lazy----I've been bulk aging some Apfelwein since 4/2013 in my basement in a carboy. I just top off the airlock every week or so.

Have you tried (or like) hard cider? I haven't brewed in a couple of years but I thought about making some hard cider (try it) a month or two back. Need to get on it!

Back