Whole lotta butt

Corey Rogers

TVWBB Member
Well, here's the start to my Friday night. I had planned on getting home early and starting around 1 or 2 PM, but instead I'm starting at 7 PM. On top of that, a friggin snowstorm is coming in with winds in the 30 mph range with 5-8 inches of snow. In this part of the world, snow should be over with by now, so I wasn't really expecting this weather.

Anyway, 47 lbs. of pork butt in 6 shoulders from 6-8 lbs. are on the WSM. I've never put this much in before, but I'm confident we can do it. Pardon the blurry pictures, the new iPhone doesn't take as nice of shots as I'd hoped.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1...57623528300021/show/

I'll update as things progress.

UPDATE: I had to stir the coals at 4:30 this AM, and added some unlit, about a full chimney or so, at 7:30. Opened the vents and hit 275 so closed the vents back down some. Meat temps are 168-193 now, so will be taking some of them off soon to rest.

UPDATE: Smaller 3 came off the smoker at 11 AM, so 15.5 hours. Rested until 1 PM then pulled for lunch, yum!!!

LAST UPDATE: Last 3 came off at 1:30 and I pulled them at 3:30. I ended up with just under 31 lbs. Not a bad result from 47 lbs. pre-cook. I was expecting more along the lines of 25 lbs. or so given my usual 45% loss.

Who said you need a wsm 22.Good luck on your cook and keep the pics coming.I wish you had some of our south Al weather,76 today.

Wow, as a newbie, never even considered that I could get 6 butts in my WSM 18. Thanks for the pictures.

Good Luck tonight!!

I got the tent at Walmart for like 30 bucks. It's actually an outdoor shower/porta-potty, but it works well. Right now, according to Weather Underground, we are getting 30-35mph winds, and it isn't moving. It has tiedowns that secure it pretty well.

Thats a pretty cool idea. Does the tent have a vent in the top or do you seal it up and create your own delicious hot box
wsmsmile8gm.gif
?

The top of the shower where it angles towards the peak is completely mesh, so plenty of venting there. It has an add-on cover which you can see in the picture that goes over the top, with 2-3" of clearance between the cover and the top of the shower. When I first start the cook, smoke rolls out from under the cover, makes a pretty impressive sight.

Back