Where Do I Get Good Lump In San Diego?

Butch Civic

Hi everyone, I live in San Diego and I want to find good hardwood lump. But not at BBQ Galore because it's too expensive. Also I don't want to use mesquite. Something like Royal Oak would be great. preferably in 20lb.+ bags.

I used Kingsford for about a year and there is an odd taste when using the Minion Method.
icon_frown.gif
I have used Kamado extruded lump in my kettle and there was no odd taste. But I hear the quality has gone way down, so I don't want to waste the money on junk.
icon_mad.gif

Thanks In Advance
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Butch Civic:
Hi everyone, I live in San Diego

I have used Kamado extruded lump in my kettle and there was no odd taste. But I hear the quality has gone way down, so I don't want to waste the money on junk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since you live in San Diego, can't you pick up Kamado without the shipping costs? If so, that makes the price pretty reasonable and I know a lot of us would like to know if the quality has actually gone down (not just hear it).

See if there is a green egg distributer in your area. That type of store will probably have some lump charcoal. Also check the local hardware stores. In Michigan some of the True Value hardware stores have a good grill section and carry lump.

I have to say when I saw the thread title I thought it was some sort of sick joke... I'm glad it's not!

Be safe out there, Butch.

I live in SD also. I normally get Royal Oak at Walmart for about $5.00 a bag or you can go to Escondido to a placed called Olson Firewood.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ariel b:
I live in SD also. I normally get Royal Oak at Walmart for about $5.00 a bag or you can go to Escondido to a placed called Olson Firewood. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're getting LUMP for $5/bag, that's a really good deal. If it's the briquettes, I don't think the RO briquettes are much different than Kingsford and would buy based on price and availability.

Jerry, the RO at the Walmart here in San Diego is actual lump and not briquettes. They are $5.00 but are only 10 lb bags. Depending on where he is in San Diego, he can still get some of that lump charcoal briquettes over at Home Depot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mike tu:
Try wal mart..some costco's now carry royal oak as their kirkland brand </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Mike, I'll try walmart. Costco in my area has stopped selling charcoal for the season. I'll try the one in La Mesa.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ariel b:
I live in SD also. I normally get Royal Oak at Walmart for about $5.00 a bag or you can go to Escondido to a placed called Olson Firewood. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I get my smoke wood at Olson. It comes in 40 pound bags. I think the only charcoal they have is mesquite.

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik H.:
I have to say when I saw the thread title I thought it was some sort of sick joke... I'm glad it's not!

Be safe out there, Butch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your concern, but I'm not near the fires. The smell is everywhere though.
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
Since you live in San Diego, can't you pick up Kamado without the shipping costs? If so, that makes the price pretty reasonable and I know a lot of us would like to know if the quality has actually gone down (not just hear it). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have gone to pick up Kamado charcoal before. It's about $7.50 a box. The stuff I got was pretty good, so I'm not sure if I got the old or the new. I guess it's worth one more try.

Back