When to apply rub to brisket?

J Causey

TVWBB Member
I have been applying the brisket rub the day before smoking but since I found out that using some olive oil helps the bark, I was wondering if I can apply the olive oil and rub the day before and let it sit in the frig, or should i apply it all right before putting it on the smoker?

thanks

I inject my brisket up to 12 hours before cooking and let it marinade in the fridge or a cooler, but I usually don't apply rub until about 30 min to 1 hour before going on the smoker. Just my .02

When I have the time, I prefer to apply the rub at least 6 hours prior to smoking. It's a personal preference and have not tested it.

If you apply rub the day before you will probably want to reapply some just before you put it on the smoker.

For a while now I have been buying my briskets (13-16lbs) on sale, trimming them, applying my rub, vacuum sealing and freezing them until I am ready to cook. I move them from the freezer into a cooler with a bag of ice two days before I plan to cook it. I haven't had any problems with that method yet.

If it's a non-Butchers/Kosmos type injection then I'll do it a several hours in advance. If it's got Butchers/Kosmos, then no more than four hours in advance.

Rub usually goes on a couple of hours before going in cooker. I don't like to add the rub right after injecting as some of the injection will come right back out and take rub off as it drains. Then I just have to re-apply and that's a waste.

Russ

I apply to rub right before I fire the cooker. I coat them with mustard first, then apply the rub and cook. I never thought about using Olive Oil, but it may be worth a try.

I rub the night before, take it out of the fridge, light the chimney, let the cooker settle down, load it up and let it go.

I apply the rub when I'm getting the fire ready or a couple hours before the cook. It all depends on what's going on with me😬

Back