When to add smoke wood?

bblake

TVWBB Member
Have searched the boards, but can't come up with a conclusive answer as to when to add smoke wood. I have used the standard method for my two cooks & put unlit wood on top of the kingsford before assembling the cooker. this produces the white billowing smoke, but later in the cook, the wood is cooked down, but no longer producing the billowing smoke. My wife has said both cooks were too smokey for her, though the wood amounts were two small chunks of cherry.

I understand that while using the minion method, there will be little billowing smoke during the later hours of the cook b/c of the low temps and gradual lighting of the coals.

Is the billowing smoke what is causing the strong smoke flavor and in what ways can I add my wood that will improve my flavoring? Thanks!

It's been said that meat will only take on smoke flavor in the first 3 hrs of a cook. I'm not sure if I believe that, but that would make the first 3 hrs the most critical. During that time, good smoke is important so you want to get some of the smoke wood going right away, but you don't want to overdo it either. I've found that as long as there's at least a constant amount of moderate smoke in the beginning, it can die down to next to nothing later in the cook and you'll still have good smoke flavor. With the Minion method you can bury some of your wood in the unlit coals to create a sort of time release effect. It won't produce "billowing" smoke, but I don't think that's what you're after anyway. I've oversmoked meats with little or no smoke from the vent for the last 10 + hrs of the cook. Maybe if you just throw one chunk on top and bury the other, you'll get better results. It doesn't sound like you're using too much wood.
One question, do you have the top vent wide open during your cooks?

Just a thought - when using the Standard method, if you're adding the unlit on top of the lit, why not add your smokewood on the lit, add the unlit, then by the time all has ashed over, your wood will be significantly burned down and that would be the point you would assemble the cooker and add the meat ? If you're using all lit at the beginning, as in 2 chimneys, you could add the wood and wait 15 or 20 minutes for it to burn down before you assemble, etc.

Paul

Kirk - Yes, top vent 100% open, all the time.

Paul - #2 sounds like it may be what i need to do. I just don't know if other people experience this problem too, or if it is DW's tastebuds....

Thanks for the topic. I've been meaning to ask the same question. What brought up the topic to me is one of the recipes, using the standard method, indicated they put the wood in just after the meat, after assembly. I think it was in the cooking topics for texas sugarless spareribs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bblake:... or if it is DW's tastebuds.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My guess would be that has more to do with it than anything. Regardless, the solution is the same - STOP MAKING FOOD THAT TASTE SO SMOKEY
icon_smile.gif

Paul

Brian
I add only wood at the start of the cook. Understand that you don't want to see smoke, it should be transparent, gray or black smoke means you have a problem.
With a WSM if you are using water in the water pan you will see steam and smoke mixed. If your wife thinks it is too smokey then use less at the start.
As long as there is is wood in the smoker it is layering smoke flavor on the meat. If your talking smokering, you can produce smokering until the internal temp reached aprox 140º.

I would suggest you use less wood in your next cook and see how your wife likes it. Less is better when it comes to adding wood.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kirk Boorman:
It's been said that meat will only take on smoke flavor in the first 3 hrs of a cook. I'm not sure if I believe that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't believe it because it's not true. As long as you keep adding wood the meat will continue to take on the smoke. As Jim said the smoke ring stops at 140 degrees but the smoke flavor doesn't.
icon_eek.gif

Brian,

What are you cooking? Is it poultry or turkey? Different types of meats take in more or less smoke flavor. A pork butt can handle a lot of smoke. A chicken can't handle much smoke. My 2 Cents.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe P:
Brian,

What are you cooking? Is it poultry or turkey? Different types of meats take in more or less smoke flavor. A pork butt can handle a lot of smoke. A chicken can't handle much smoke. My 2 Cents. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct IMO, and I won't answer for Bryan, but I'll be he and most others will agree with you also. I am one that likes a lot of smoke flavor, and use more than most here from what it would seem. I also agree that the meat will take on smoke throughout the cook, but the ring is only at the beginning. Some people confuse the smoke flavor with the smoke ring statement.

Joe P - Cook 1 was chicken breasts & Cook 2 was meatloaf and have read about their smoke absorbtion rates...I was more than satisfied with both. My grandfather used to cook his championship briskets w/nothing but oak logs in his gigantic offset trailer rig, so to me, it was not overpowering.....

We are going to do a Mr. Brown this weekend, so I will revisit this thread with the results & some pics!

Jim M - I will definatley keep an eye out for gray or black smoke! Smokering is not something I am too terribly concerned about though. Is this something that you look for in competition Q? I hear it referred to & my meatloaf had one, but i don't know what good it did, other than looking neat ;o)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bblak... Smokering ... my meatloaf had one, but i don't know what good it did, other than looking neat ;o) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's probably about it; however it is a great tradition among BBQ enthusiats. Although I have no interest in competiton cooking, with no disrespect for those who do, I know it is an important factor there.

Paul

Back