What's Wrong With This Picture/Probe?

Dan Crafton

TVWBB Member
https://bay177.mail.live.com/m/mess...f-00215ad7abb2&attdepth=0&attindex=0&CP=20127

This is my all night pork butt cook that I just took off. My IGrill woke me up with an alarm saying my meet temp was at 340dg!!! This happened to me once before and I did a hard reset on the iGrill and it went back to normal. Not this time....luckily I had a spare probe and that fixed the problem.

So did a probe go bad? Any iGrill users have this happen before?

Other than that little snafu all went great.

Thanks,
Dan

Mine has done the same thing. The ambient temp was 200 and the meat temp was 600! I run my cords through the top vent. Since then I've started cutting a wedge out of a wine cork and running the wired through the cork, which insulated them from the heat of the lid and haven't had a problem.

I think I got one probe too close to the fire during an indirect OTS cook. Live and learn. I am going to order the ambient temp probe as a replacement.

I have the iGrill ambient/grate temp probe and the meat probe and run both under the lid. Neither has ever been kinked, close to fire or abused in any way. About four cooks on the iGrill/probes. Has me scratching my head. It appears the meat probe just went bad.

I hope Weber comes out with this new grommet upgrade for the 18.5in WSM. I will get it then I won't have to sit the lid on the probe wires anymore (not that it caused my malfunction just don't know).

Got to go pull my pork now,
Dan

Before you order a new one, try again in about a week. Mine seemed to fix itself and has been fine since.

I hope Weber comes out with this new grommet upgrade for the 18.5in WSM. I will get it then I won't have to sit the lid on the probe wires anymore (not that it caused my malfunction just don't know).

There are options you could take now: cut a slot in the center section, add a lamp shape or other after market grommets, or call Weber and order the silicone grommet for the 2014 WSM. I think someone said they are $7.00

I cut a slot in the top of the center section for my wires on the Maverick 732's probes. It works perfectly and is relatively easy to do.

Dale53

Back