What's the longest cook you've done?

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
Just curious....Mine happened to be this weekend. 18 hrs, 8 pound butt. My wife thought I was crazy. By the way, she won't eat pork. What should I do, lol....

28 hrs.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
(actual time on WSM)
icon_eek.gif
A 19 lbs Chuck Roll. Only had to add about a doz coals at the end of the cook.
icon_wink.gif
Then I had some left over.
icon_razz.gif

With old Kingsford during the summer I went 26hrs at 225 with no refuel. As for your wife. Tell her its beef. If she won't eat beef, then show her the front door.. LOL

Rick

My longest is happening right now.. I have had 4 butts totaling 26 pounds on my WSM since 5am. I am in the 175 - 180 range on all of them right now and anticipate another couple hours. Weather has been good and cooperative, have not had to add water, but did add about 20 briquettes about 3 hours ago as my fuel was getting a bit low. I have had 2 neighbors stop by to see what I was 'queing because of the smell...that is such a cool feeling, it may also have helped since it was near dinner time.

20 hours for 2 big butts. Kingsford added some about 15 at the end of the cook didn't really need to though.

I'm with Jay - 23 hours on a big load of butts then a quick hot run of chicken on a single load of Kamado extracted. I'd cook on that stuff all the time if it wasn't so hard/expensive to get here in Oklahoma!

Keri C, still NOT smokin' on Tulsa Time (blasted burn ban...)

25 1/2 hrs. Chuck roll and ribs done over Lump of course.
icon_biggrin.gif
Added some lump at the 16 hr mark and used a total of 9 lbs. of lump for the whole cook. Try and get that amount of time out of your old or new Kingsford.
icon_razz.gif

21 hrs for a 5.5 lb pork butt. The thermometer dropped into the top vent confirmed a temps averaged 239 F (considerable variation though 180-275). I started at midnight, outside temp dropped to about 26 F overnight - slept too long hence the 180. I found refueling to be difficult with the base filled with ash. Seems better to empty the ash after burning 20 lbs of charcoal before adding more. The pork butt was good though.

I did four shoulders Sunday/Monday that ended up taking ~24 hours. First time I have ever smoked in the 200-225 range (usually 275-300).
One midnight refuel. The lower temp seems to produce a better product.
Previous long before this was 15 hours.

The funny thing was that I was preparing to give a speech on "How to make a proper pulled pork sandwich" (for a college speech class), and I was counting on a 12 to 15 hour cook. Pork ended up being done 2 hours before class. Didn't have much time to prepare it but the provided samples disappeared real fast.

Back