What's cookin' this weekend???

TOM BAUER

TVWBB Pro
Just picked up a package of baby backs at Cash n'xxxxx in Bellevue for $2.47 lb. Also picked up a 12# briskit for $1.83 lb--wondered if anyone has turned a briskit into hamburger and if so, how much fat to trim off???

I've had 10 pounds of pork belly in the brine for 4 days. I bought one of those cold smoker devices, and I have the oak sawdust to fuel it. I used Alton Brown's scrap iron chef recipe for the brine (modified a bit). I'm so stinking excited to make my first home made bacon!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TOM BAUER:
Also picked up a 12# briskit for $1.83 lb--wondered if anyone has turned a briskit into hamburger and if so, how much fat to trim off??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Brisket burgers are really good. Try for ~20% fat in the burger meat. If in doubt, leave the fat in there.
I'm grilling chicken tomorrow and some nice thick pork chops I picked up today on Sunday

11 lb. no roll packer and ABT's for me. Never done a brisket before so I'm gonna try the high heat method with Kevin's paste sans pickled japs and <STRIKE>BRITU</STRIKE> midnight brisket rub.

I haven't picked anything up yet, but I plan to get a 12-14 lb. packer and maybe do some ABTs. It'll be the inaugural smoke for my WSM!

Sirloins on the CIG/OTG Saturday night and both pork & beef back ribs on the WSM for Sunday's showing of BF's last game of the season
icon_biggrin.gif
(and the Badgers BigTen game versus Penn State)

I only trim the hard fat on briskets before grinding.

This weekend: pear and brie quesadillas, guajillo-blueberry crema; evoo-poached albacore tuna salad; seared halibut, toasted orzo-pine nut 'pilaf', sautéed cucumber, shallot-jícama relish; coffee-cocoa-rubbed tri-tip, sides tbd.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
This weekend: pear and brie quesadillas, guajillo-blueberry crema; evoo-poached albacore tuna salad; seared halibut, toasted orzo-pine nut 'pilaf', sautéed cucumber, shallot-jícama relish; coffee-cocoa-rubbed tri-tip, sides tbd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In the words of the immortal Jack Benny, now cut that out!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">, sautéed cucumber, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just tried this for the first time last week. Amazing. Had no idea of the cucumber's potential.

BB ribs for the 2nd weekend in a row, and the 3rd out of the last 4(did spares that weekend).

Got em' for $2.99/lb un-enhanced, fresh ribs. Ill do them tomorrow in the afternoon.

Also got a BRT sirloin tip roast. Ill do that tomorrow with the ribs to have it ready to slice for Sunday's games. Ill rub the roast tonight with garlic powder, black pepper, grouhnd yellow mustard, ground rosemary, onion powder, etc. then apply kosher salt tomorrow before smoking gonna smoke it to 130 then pull it to rest. Looking for rare-medium rare..

Ill use lump, cherry, and a little hickory

Another warm weekend compared to the smokes I did at the beginning of the month. Looking at 40 degrees tomorrowm maybe some rain. Its all good.

A couple of 10 pound choice packer briskets trimmed 1/4". I got them for less than a $1 a pound. Couldn't pass them up.

Saturday = 2 racks of spareribs from Costco (trying out pecan wood for the firs time)

Sunday = 5lb pork belly for Maple Bacon and apple smoked cheese

I can't wait to smoke, its been like 2 weeks...way too long!

Picked up 3 slabs of spares at C & C in Lynnwood, WA. Smoking them for a small get together with some folks from HI. Using "SuckleBuster" rub...

Have a great weekend!

joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TOM BAUER:
Just picked up a package of baby backs at Cash n'xxxxx in Bellevue for $2.47 lb. Also picked up a 12# briskit for $1.83 lb--wondered if anyone has turned a briskit into hamburger and if so, how much fat to trim off??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doing 2 10 1/2 lb pork shoulders tomorrow and lots of moink balls & abt's. round 2 with my own homemade meatballs. Smoker ready, will start in about 4 hours. Sunday doing my first turkey, so far I've been lucky hope turkey goes well.

I just finished 2 racks of BB in the kettle for the first time and they turned out great.I have a pork loin in the fridge for tommorow and a trip to the butcher in the morning for Sundays game day meal.

I just put on my first chuck roast. I can't wait until I try my first pulled beef-Mooo.

It's a nice night in Massachusetts. 28 F and 4 MPH winds.

4296802164_caeb09fc57_m.jpg

Back