What's cookin for SuperBowl Weekend

8 racks of ribs. 7 babys, 1 spare. On a 18.5" WSM. It was my first minion too. Its chugging at 245-250 almost four hours now. I didn't even fill the ring all the way up with lump, or pack it down tight. Also, I've had to leave all vents 100% open for 245. But it's not been a problem yet. Still chugging along.

Plans changed due to the blizzard and we aren't having folks over as planned. Just doing some RSC and a couple sirloin filets for the Mrs and the two year old.

Coke can chicken (filled w/ beer)

IMG_1566.JPG

ABTs:

IMG_1585.JPG

I did a brisket, pot of sausage and chicken gumbo, smoked mushroom dip with chips, and two kinds of wings, both Franks and Sriracha/Marmalade. More food than we could eat.

Did 8 lbs of chicken wings for the Super Bowl and smoked them for about 3 hours, then finished on the gasser. Used the sauce on the Cooking Topics page and they were a huge hit. Used one chunck of cherry and one of sugar maple and they were excellent. I love the smoky flavor added to the sauce and they were not overpowered by the smoke at all. Steve

It was just the wife and myself at home, so no big party foods. I made catfish gumbo (secret ingredient was that I made the roux from leftover smoked duck fat), hoppin' john, and collard greens. Barbecue next weekend when my daughter (the vegetarian) comes home with her boyfriend. The lad loves pulled pork.

For my family and friends, smoked a brisket and used half for chili. For a fund raiser, prepared broccoli cheese soup, fresh salad, stuffed chicken breast, marinated asparagus, rice pilaf and layered carrot cake for 250 people. A little more cooking than I intended to do this weekend
icon_rolleyes.gif

Paul

Hi Alan - Just read your post about Keri's Hog
Apple Pie Baked Beans and thought I should reply to your message about tweaking the recipe. I pretty much stay with the original recipe but a couple of variations I do are: I like 1/2 cup Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce. I added 2 large Jalapenos (Embasa in Escabeche) chopped and seeded. 1/2 to 1 tspn Cayenne or Chipolte powder for heat and to taste. 1 pound Jimmy Deans Maple flavored sausage browned and crumbled instead of smoked pork. My wife and I belong to a Golf and Yacht club here in Washington and have made this quite a few times for the group and always get great reviews. (Thank you Keri) Otherwise I pretty much stay with the recipe. Seriously, this is a great treat. Now for some fun stuff: Serve the Baked Beans in small individual bowls and top it with a small bit of smoked pork or crumbled sausage, top that with a small bit of Cole Slaw and top that with a small bit of sour cream, sprinked with a (wee bit) of paprika. Now my friend you have created a special treat; a "BBQ Sundae". It looks like a sundae and your guests will swear it is one. lol. Or in place of the Cole Slaw you can put a dab of Guacamole. Just have fun with it. You will enjoy it and so will your guests. Bob B

Cheers Bob. Sounds great. I am heading home to Scotland tonight so will be home by Friday. Have a quick weekend and then over to Texas so I will put your recipe/idea's to the test.
Cheers
Alan

Back