What's a good, 'novice' baby back ribs recipe?

Andrew Luis

TVWBB Fan
Hi Guys!

I will be smoking some baby back ribs for a BBQ Sunday morning. Hoping to finish up by late afternoon when we'll be having people over.

Can someone share me a recipe that's good for a novice like myself? I've only done baby back ribs once, and it didn't come out as great as I wanted--I think they were over cooked.

I was thinking of going the Harry Soo agave ribs http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2012/02/slapilicious-baby-back-ribs-with-agave-glaze/ but I just don't like agave nectar that much....

Looking for something proven on here, since I know you a lot of you really know your stuff! Please help a newb out! Thanks in advance. :)

Andrew Luis;
I have adopted Harry Soo's recipe for my own, I like it so well. If you don't care for agave nectar, just use honey. I use agave nectar sparingly and would suggest the same with honey. Frankly, for home ribs you can skip the nectar and brown sugar and just use the recommended amount of apple juice. That way will get you some fine ribs without the extra sweetening. Competitors often sweeten ribs more that they need to, just to get the judges attention with one bite. When a person eats several bones, they don't really need any sweetening, in my opinion. Competition ribs are not necessarily the best for a whole meal.

Just a thought or two...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Thanks, gentlemen!!!! I think I will try the weber recipe. That one sounds awesome!!

I am going to find a 'mop' hopefully somewhere local.

Question--for those that do the 'foil' method when using apple juice, is that the same thing as mentioned in the weber article when mopping?

What is the point of that? I know for me with pork butts it's to get me over the 150-160 hump. How would that be used here?

Andrew Luis;
Foiling the ribs actually steam them increasing tenderness and also speeds cooking. That is why it is so important to make sure the bark is set before you foil. Many, then sauce (after foiling) and put back on the smoker to set the sauce.

Keep on smokin',

As Robert said foiling is useful as a braise when you are short on time and also to add another flavor. You can certainly skip that part (foiling) like some of us do, and just spritz or mop. You can build up layers of flavor & color if you do that often enough.

Tim

As Robert said foiling is useful as a braise when you are short on time and also to add another flavor. You can certainly skip that part (foiling) like some of us do, and just spritz or mop. You can build up layers of flavor & color if you do that often enough.

Tim

Tim.
Just to understand ....
You say "layers of flavor & color"
What do you mean with "color"? Can you explain to me?

Andrew Luis;
Foiling the ribs actually steam them increasing tenderness and also speeds cooking. That is why it is so important to make sure the bark is set before you foil. Many, then sauce (after foiling) and put back on the smoker to set the sauce.

Keep on smokin',

Thanks!

Tim

I think I am going to combine both recipes. I am going to try and follow Harry's instructions on temperature and wrapping but use weber's mop and barbecue sauce.

Is the wrapping worth it? I live by it when doing my pork butt/pulled pork. Is it as big a deal with ribs?

Or can I get the same result just mopping and letting it stay the whole time on my rib rack?

Edit: I think I am going to wrap it with the mop liquid and then once I am done braising it, rewrap with the sauce and wrap it in the foil, then put it in a cooler with a towel. :)

Thoughts ya'll?

Last edited:
Tim.
Just to understand ....
You say "layers of flavor & color"
What do you mean with "color"? Can you explain to me?

If you do it often enough the color gets darker as you apply it. I use frozen apple juice concentrate for a spritz cut with some bourbon and the ribs take on a mahogany color when done. Different smoke-woods add different colors also, cherry gives pork a reddish color, while hickory leaves a more neutral brownish color.

Tim

Thanks!

I think I am going to combine both recipes. I am going to try and follow Harry's instructions on temperature and wrapping but use weber's mop and barbecue sauce.

Is the wrapping worth it? I live by it when doing my pork butt/pulled pork. Is it as big a deal with ribs?

Or can I get the same result just mopping and letting it stay the whole time on my rib rack?

Edit: I think I am going to wrap it with the mop liquid and then once I am done braising it, rewrap with the sauce and wrap it in the foil, then put it in a cooler with a towel. :)

Thoughts ya'll?

I wrap spares but haven't wrapped BB's in a while. A bark boost adds flavor without foiling but might be too much for a rib, better suited for a big whole hunk of meat like a chuckie or butt.http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?21465-Bark-Flavor-Boost
I agree with Dustin, just give it a go and let us know what you think.:wsm:

Tim

I wrap spares but haven't wrapped BB's in a while. A bark boost adds flavor without foiling but might be too much for a rib, better suited for a big whole hunk of meat like a chuckie or butt.http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?21465-Bark-Flavor-Boost
I agree with Dustin, just give it a go and let us know what you think.:wsm:

Tim

I didn't wrap and they came out perfect!! the bark was real nice. They were also nice and tender but also moist. Instead of spritsing with apple juice, I just kept brushing the ribs down with the butter, apple juice, sauce mixture reccomended on weber's recipe.

They came out perfect. There wasn't a rib left!!!

Soooo good that I think I am going to do them again next week for my parents. :p

Thanks everyone!

Back